Midnight Duel? Please...

Artemis was starting to regret giving in to Draco's plea.

He'd much rather do his homework than stand next to a drooling three-headed dog.

************30 minutes ago************

Artemis and Draco were sneaking out of the Slytherin Dormitories, trying not to wake anyone up.

Keyword: trying

"Artemis, hurry up!"

"It's 11:30 pm, I'm half asleep, I can't find my wand, and its your fault I'm even doing this."

Artemis could almost feel Draco rolling his eyes at him in the dark.

"Whatever. Meet me outside. Hurry up."

Artemis rummaged through his trunk, trying to find his wand.

"You left your wand in the common room."

Artemis jumped and stifled a scream. Nico di Angelo was sitting cross-legged on his bed ,staring at him with that creepy blank stare of his. His pale white face stood out in the dark. For the first time in his life, Artemis was starting to understand how people felt when he acted unnerving and creepy. But di Angelo was so much more unnerving than he could ever be.

"What on earth are you doing awake at this hour?", he whispered.

Nico shrugged, "Couldn't sleep. I'm guessing that this sneaking around has something to do with that midnight duel you mentioned?"

Artemis nodded, "Yes. I can't believe I'm doing something to something so undeniably stupid. Since when did I get so easily swayed? I'm supposed to be a stone cold businessman! How am I supposed to fulfil my dream of selling the pyramids of Giza if I can't even refuse to help a boy I met two days ago?"

"That's your problem Fowl."

"Whatever. I'm leaving before Draco comes back and drags me away."

Nico got out of bed. "I'm coming with you."

Artemis gaped at him. Truth be told, he was quite tired of gaping, but to his utter dismay, he was used to it by now.

"Excuse me, what?"

Nico just shrugged again, "It's better than lying in bed and watching people sleep."

"Very well. I suppose you have a valid reason. Although, do you usually spend hours watching us sleep?"

Nico just smirked at him

'I've already started mingling, giggling and giving in to the whims of my classmates and it has only been two days! By the end of the year I'll be singing that ridiculous school song too. Oh the horror!' he thought.

Nico was waving a hand in front of his face.

"Fowl? Are you coming or not? You've been staring at me for 2 minutes."

***********Line break***********

Potter and Weasley were waiting for them when they arrived.

Weasley scowled, "We were starting to think that you two would never show up. What took so long?"

Draco smirked, "You two are the ones who showed up early. We Slytherins decided to get as much sleep as possible so that we can relish our imminent victory."

Nico spoke up, "Actually, Fowl here lost his wand."

Harry seemed surprised, as though he had just noticed Nico.

"Nico? What are you doing here?"

"I was bored."

Suddenly another voice piped up, "Artemis? You're involved in this madness too?"

Now it was Artemis' turn to be surprised.

"Hermione? You got dragged into this as well?"

Hermione nodded, looking annoyed.

"Someone had to keep these two from loosing points from Gryffindor ."

Draco threw his arms in the air, "Why are there so many people here? This is between me and Potter."

"I'm sorry! I forgot the password. It's not my fault!" said yet another voice.

Draco groaned, "Longbottom? You're here too? Is he supposed to be backup or something Potter?"

Before Harry could reply, they heard footsteps approaching.

"Sniff around, my sweet, they might be lurking in a corner.''

It was Filch speaking to Mrs Norris. Horror-struck, Harry waved madly at the other six to follow him as quickly as possible; they scurried silently towards the door away from Filch's voice. Neville's robes had barely whipped round the corner when they heard Filch enter the trophy room.

'They're in here somewhere,' they heard him mutter, 'probably hiding.'

'This way!' Harry mouthed to the others and, petrified, they began to creep down a long gallery full of suits of armour.

Just when Artemis finally thought he was safe, Peeves the Poltergeist decided to make an appearance.

"Wandering around at midnight, ickle firsties? Tut, tut, tut. Naughty, naughty, you'll get caughty."

Nico stepped forward.

"Leave us alone Peeves. We've got places to be."

Peeves just grinned at him, "Well then, if little princey says so."

Artemis raised his eyebrows.

'Little princey?' he mouthed

"Just go with it."

It seems that their luck had run out, they had reached a dead end.

Ron looked terrified , "What are we going to do? We're doomed! This is all your fault Malfoy!"

Draco looked offended, "I beg your pardon! You're the one who agreed to do this! And now, Filch is going to kill us !"

Artemis and Hermione both rolled their eyes.

"Oh move over!" they snapped.

Hermione's face was red again, probably due to the excitement of the recent events. 'Yes,' he thought, 'why else would she be blushing?'

"Go ahead Artemis."

"You know how to do it too. You go ahead."

Nico groaned, "One of you cast the spell already!"

Hermione blushed again and quickly opened the door.

'He thinks this door is locked,' Harry whispered. 'I think we'll be OK – get off, Neville!'

For Neville had been tugging on the sleeve of Harry's dressing-gown for the last minute. 'What?' 

All 7 of them looked turned around – and saw, quite clearly, what. For a moment, Artemis was sure he'd walked into a nightmare – this was too much, on top of everything that had happened so far. They weren't in a room, as they had previously assumed. They were in a corridor. The forbidden corridor on the third floor. And now they knew why it was forbidden. They were looking straight into the eyes of a monstrous dog, a dog which filled the whole space between ceiling and floor. It had three heads. Three pairs of rolling, mad eyes; three noses, twitching and quivering in their direction; three drooling mouths, saliva hanging in slippery ropes from yellowish fangs. It was standing quite still, all six eyes staring at them.

Only Nico remained calm.

"Down boy. Now!"

Oddly enough, the dog obeyed. Artemis felt like sobbing, there was nothing in any of the books about 3-headed dogs being trained by 11 year old emo kids. They were supposed to be guards for Merlin's sake! Not lovable puppies!

Although the dog seemed happy to play with Nico, the rest of them didn't want to take any chances.

Deciding that they had had quite enough excitement (read: terror) for one night, all 7 of them returned to their respective dormitories without a word.

But none of them missed the silent message that passed between them.

"This isn't over."