Chapter 4

The next time James saw you, he was assigned to extract your information. As Lucius Malfoy's fiancée, you must hear a lot. If it's true that he's a Death Eater, you can confirm it.

Since he's your ex, Dumbledore assigned him to this task because he knows how to get your information.

You sit alone at the bar, nursing your drink; James walks up to you. 

He greets you with a warm smile, and you can't help but feel relieved to see a familiar face.

However, James's attention strays to your black eye, which looks like it was inflicted recently. You can sense his anger rising, knowing he wants to lash out at Lucius for causing you harm. Despite his emotions, James manages to keep himself in check. 

"Hey, y/n," he says, trying to sound casual. "Well, I guess we can catch up some more." You nod, grateful for the company. Trying to make small talk, you ask James if he's seeing anyone. He shakes his head. 

"I haven't since us. I decided to take a break after everything," he admits. Causing you to feel a pang of guilt

 "I'm sorry." You say, and your apology takes James aback. James lets out a deep sigh.

"It was an accident, ok? It wasn't your fault at all that miscarriages happen, and you were under a lot of stress, so of course, you had one. I never blamed you; I blamed myself for not doing better." James says, and you shake your head as you grab his hand and quickly pull away. As you look at the ground, scared, as you stare at a group of people. 

James noticed that you were looking at a man who was sitting nearby. The man was close enough to hear anything but far enough not to be detected easily. James looked at the man and saw a dark mark on his arm, visible beneath his shirt. The man had blond hair, and despite his face being covered by a black cloak, James knew immediately that it was Lucius Malfoy. Your behaviour made it all clear.

So he is a death eater, huh? 

James grabbed your hand and apparated away with you, hearing Lucius yell your name as he did. 

"Ok, now we can talk," James says, and you are confused about what just happened, but you realize you were at a house.

"What?" You say, so confused. James grabs your arms and rolls your sleeves up.

"Ok, good, you're not one of them yet," James says, and you were so confused; what was going on?

"What's going on?" You say, demanding he tells you now

"I know your fiancé is a death eater; if you want to stop this war, any information you have would be great," James says, and you are shocked he found out

"James, I'm gonna get in trouble with you taking me and leaving; I can't get in anymore." You say, and James touches your black eye, making you recoil as you close your eyes

James pleads with you, "Can you trust me? I didn't want to do this, but I was assigned this job. If you could send me a letter or meet me somewhere with the information you have, I promise it would help stop him, and we could put an end to this war." You didn't love Lucius anyway, so you'd willingly betray him in a minute. And, on the other hand, you still love James and want to tell him what you hear in that manor.

"Ok." You say, and James then sits you down on a couch, grabs something, and puts it on your black eye

"Here, it'll help heal your eye," James says, and you smile but then sigh

"I need to start heading back and thinking of a lie to tell Lucius so I don't get another black eye." You say, and James didn't want to let you leave, but he did, knowing you'll see him soon.

'I can't believe she blamed herself; I'm the one to blame. I should have made sure she wasn't stressed; I should have done her school work for her; I should have done more; I'm the one who needs to be blamed, not her.'