20) Allergic (Fluff) Newt

(Before note: Even though you, the reader, are probably not allergic to peanuts-neither am I- your character is. Obviously, being in the Glade and having your memory wiped means that you and other Gladers don't know you are allergic and feed you some. Oopsie Daisies. I am also not allergic to anything, therefore have not experienced an allergic reaction, and might get the events wrong. I'm basing this off of things I've seen in Monster In Law and Game Plan 😂. Sorry)

    (Y/N's POV)

    I was walking to dinner with Newt. Sadly, he was only my friend. I was totally in love with him and there was literally nothing I could do because I knew he didn't like me back. Everything about him was absolutely perfect! His caramel hair, brown eyes, perfect smile, his beautiful accent! *Sigh* single forever... As soon as we get out of here, he'll meet a girl worthy of him. That's probably why he's holding out.

"Do you think Minho has a hair gel stash somewhere in the Homestead?" Newt asked.

I squinted my eyes and thought about it. I could picture Minho with a locked cabinet filled to the brim with hair gel containers. I laughed at it.

"Yeah, he probably does."

We arrived at the kitchen and got our plates from Fry. Today's meal was something new, as he told us.

"I tried this new food with stuff that you guys grew in the Gardens, can you tell me if you like it?"

"Of course!" I said.

We walked off.

"You know what new thing he's talking about?" I questioned.

"Yeah, you probably haven't seen them yet bu me and Zart started growing these new kind of nuts the Creators sent up."

I nodded and hummed in agreement.

We sat down at our usual table with Chuck, Minho, and Thomas. I put my plate in front of me along with my fork for the various fruit slices on my plate. Newt slid in next to me across from the boys who already seemed to be arguing about something.

"You were the one who put a spider in Gally's hammock!" Minho laughed.

"No, you did!" Thomas countered.

"You!"

"You!"

They fought like children, and all the while Chuck sat there trying to hide his guilty smile. I chuckled (haha get it? Ok I'll stop now...).

I finally looked down at the toast on my plate. Two slightly browned pieces of bread with a darker brown spread on it. I raised a piece up to my nose and smelled it. It smelled very distinct, but I couldn't describe it. I opened my mouth and took a bite. I chewed. It was...weird. I don't think I really like it. I swallowed the bread and put it down before raising my fork. I stopped while the fork was in midair.

   "Are you okay, Y/N?" Newt asked. His eyes were filled with concern. "Your face is turning red..."

    I looked at my other friends with confusion and the they looked back with an expression that would tell me they agreed with Newt. I opened my mouth to respond but I couldn't. There was a sudden overwhelming burning feeling in the back of my throat and my hand flew to my neck and rubbed. I started coughing. It felt like I couldn't breathe. I was panicking. Every tiny breath I took automatically turned into a coughing fit, and I felt like I wasn't gonna make it through this. I couldn't get even half a breath to stay down or even just down. I stood up and was frantically grasping at my throat and my friends looked equally panicked.