Chapter 3

Clay paced on all fours, tailed by Wilbur, Tubbo and Tommy, who was lagging behind. Clay had to keep stopping for him, either the Brit bashed on an ant hill or tripping over pointy slabs of stone. Getting fairly annoyed with him, this time, when Tommy knocked over a few low branches he didn't stop for him, neither did Wilbur. Tubbo held his horses and leaned over Tommy, now dotted with scars and bruises. 

"Tommy! You alright? You keep tripping over things. I'll tell- God damn it! Clay and Will left us!" Tubbo scolded, eyes flashing with fury.

Tommy got up shakily, limping on his left paw, starred guiltily at his friend. Tubbo frowned as he glanced around him, yipping and howling sharply. Trying to be useful after his accident, he sniffed the ground for scent tracks left by Will or Clay. His ears flattened against his head, he yelped hoarsely at Tubbo, who was busy admiring an owl hooting above him. Tubbo snapped out of it and dashed towards Tommy. 

"Tubbo, smell here. It's their scent no doubt. Let's follow the trail and we'll kick their asses  off when they see our faces." Tommy snarled jokingly, waving his right paw.

They raced deeper into the woods, leaped over a bubbling stream and skidded pass a bear den. The scent was growing stronger and fresher, Tommy's grin was getting wider; the closer the thought they'd be to the Alpha and his trusty Beta. A lighten clearing was arched by branches of birch and oak trees, leaves scattered underneath it. It was like a garden entrance; flower beds dotted the patch of land beside an unattended pumpkin patch. Tubbo trotted inside, noticing an old battered cottage stood there, snow capped on the tiled roof. Tommy snooped through the window, a figure was silhouetted by the campfire, possibly sleeping or just chilling. Then, the figure moved. He strode towards the door, holding a lantern and a revolver.

The two gasped silently and swiftly hid behind an overgrown blackberry shrub, avoiding prickly thorns. They peeped through the cracks between the leaves, a withered man stood there swinging the rusting lantern around and tucking the revolver into his coat pocket. Tubbo sighed relieved as they watched him strode inside the cottage.

"Who was that?" Tubbo whimpered, taking in shaky, nervous breaths.

"I don't know. Some dumb dude in the that lives in the woods." Tommy huffed silently.

They got up and sniffed the ground again; the scent had faded. Tommy groaned annoyingly as Tubbo sighed, rolling his yellow eyes. 

"Damn, now that the smell is gone. We're lost! We're stuck in a hag's garden." Tommy again cursed. 

"Well, I think I remember the way back to the crook, it's this way!" Tubbo pointed out, his ears twitching swiftly.

They again dashed off, now Tubbo in the lead, his tail flying in the air. Tommy slowed down whenever he saw a low-laying branch or another slab of rock. After a five minute dash, they could make out a bubbling crook behind the copse of trees. Two wolves were huddled together, snarling at each other. Tommy and Tubbo howled heartily, alerting the two other wolves below.

"Aye, Clay! Imma kick your ass off, man!" Tommy howled, Tubbo racing over to hug Clay.

Tommy then leaped towards Wilbur, eyes flaring with annoyance. Wilbur wheezed as Tommy lunged on top of him, growling playfully. Tubbo was squeezing between Clay, pressed hard against his brother. Clay smiled gently as his brother nuzzled at him, his tail wagging joyously. Then, Tubbo's mind flickered.

"Hey, bro. Do you know any dude that lives somewhere in the woods?" Tubbo stuttered, flattening his hair with his paws.

"No? What were you thinking, Tubs?" Clay retorted politely.

"Well, when we got lost. We found this cottage and an old man, he had a gun." Tubbo stated.

A moment of silence. Wilbur bit his lip- he might knew who it might be. Clay's face was stern as he glanced at Wilbur. He then turned to the eager Tubbo and Tommy.

"Well, I can't say I haven't seen a dude. But, I might know one, but I can't tell you guys." Wilbur explained.

Tommy nodded, so did Tubbo. Then, a snap. The four wolves turned around, then, a rustle of leaves. It came behind the copse of trees and thick brambles. Tubbo hid behind Clay as Tommy tried to look brave. The creature growled deeply as Tommy hid with Tubbo behind Wilbur, whimpering. Clay and Wilbur readied themselves, their claws and fangs bared. The creature appeared in the moonlight; a wolf.

It wasn't just any wolf, it was like two times larger. Its oak brown fur was hinted with light blonde, like Tommy's. Golden eyes flickered as its teeth and claws glinted, making Clay whined silently at the sight of it. Scars traced its jawline, back and its left paw. Wilbur stepped forward towards the lupine and smirked.

"Oh, Dad. Always making a grand entrance." Wilbur sneered.

Clay gasped. The lumbering wolf laughed- but more like a cross between a snarl and a growl. He gazed at the four wolves before him. He approached Wilbur and hugged him longingly, his warm, moist breath coated his neck. Wilbur grinned as he rested his head on his father's shoulder.

"Phil?!" Clay barked, astounded.

"Yea, its been years since I've seen you all." Phil greeted soothingly, tousling Tommy's fur.

"Dad? You're my father?" Tommy asked shyly, his eyes glued onto his.

"Of course I am!" Phil boomed. "Wilbur found you alone in this very woods and brought you home."

Wilbur had tears welled in his eyes. 

"Why did you leave us, Dad? Why? Since Dave left, I've been managing a whole family of wolves!" Wilbur sobbed bitterly on his father's shoulder.

"I had to, Will. At that time, you didn't knew you were a werewolf yet. And I was afraid you might be scared of me, if you'd seen me in my wolf form." Phil retorted dismally. 

Wilbur sniffed at his father, eyes puffy and red. Tommy was still hugging Phil as he whimpered shallowly, tears streaming down his furry cheeks. Clay and Tubbo were leaned against each other, sniffling restrainedly. The sun was peeping behind the horizon; morning was rolling over. The crows were squawking audibly as Clay felt his fur slump into his skin.

"Guys! The sun's coming up! We better head home!" Clay yelled, swiftly slipping his sweats and jersey on, accidentally pushing Tubbo down the hill. 

"Hey, Clay, what's the rush? Got someone to meet?" Tommy sneered, fitting into his white and red shirt, his voice still cracking from crying.

"A girl I meet last night, I told her to meet her at sunrise. And she's not my girlfriend, Tommy." Clay snapped, fully turning into his human form as he tossed clothes.

"What about our hunt?" asked Tubbo as his snout smoothed into his skin, sweeping bits of dirt and grass of his shirt.

"Probably, tonight. I really need fresh meat." huffed Clay, taking a quick glance at Wilbur and Phil.

"Phil!" Clay shouted as he saw Phil salute at him. Wilbur jogged towards Tommy and Tubbo. He looked relieved, tugging down his shirt, sealing his buff abs from view.

"I asked Dad if he was the dude you two saw, he said no, he was hunting a doe somewhere by a cliff." Wilbur informed, waving back to his father. "Dad can't come, sadly, he said that he worked with someone and doesn't like being in public."

"Well, I gotta hurry before (Y/N) gets suspiciously of me." Clay muttered, carrying the duffel bag.

"Who?" Tommy eagerly asked.

"The girl I told you about, Tommy. And like I said, she ain't my girlfriend." Clay retorted, batting an eye at Tommy, who was all smoochy.

Wilbur nodded as he dragged Tommy and Tubbo into the his stone-grey car, Tommy pulling a face through the window before driving off. Clay deeply inhaled and exhaled as he strode back to the cabin. It had been one heck of a night of running, annoying little brats and having a great time. Clay saw the cabin about half a mile away and speedily walked there.

Hello! Tysm for reading my first ever book! I really appreciate your eagerness to reach this chapter! I might be slow on adding new chapters, cuz I have school. 😅 Stay tuned for my upcoming chapters on, Masked Alpha!- LittleDonutArt