Part 15 Durna

The fifteenth day

The fifteenth day.

The Kurawa pointed the sage Durna as Senapati. Hearing this, Prabu Kresna asked the Pandawa who would fight the powerful sage Durna. The Pandawa did not want to fight him because they respected the sage Durna as their teacher.

"I will be the senopati." King Drupada said suddenly.

" King Drupada said suddenly

The Pandawa bowed down. King Puntadewa and Arjuna felt bad for bringing their in-laws into their affairs. Prabu Drupada saw his sons-in-law looking down, continuing to speak.

"I know I actually have nothing to do with this war. My presence here is the result of the marriage ties of my daughters to the Pandawa, however, there is an unresolved business between the sage Durna and me. Let us finish this matter in this war."

Hearing this, Prabu Kresna said, "Okay, Uncle Prabu, for tomorrow, it's you who will be the senopati."

"Okay, tomorrow I will be the senopati. For the companion senopati, I want to be accompanied by my son Drestajumena."

The next day the war began. Prabu Drupada immediately looked for the sage Durna.

"Yayi Kumbayana (another name for sage Durna) we meet again."

"Brother Sucitra (Prabu Drupada's first name), when I came to your palace you rejected me just for the reason of manners, even though at that time I just wanted to meet you because I missed you."

"What has passed, let it passed. Yayi, go home to Sokalima. You defends the wrong side."

"You think I'm a kid?" sage Durna cried. He attacked King Drupada. Prabu Drupada dodged and hit back with his dagger. The battle between these two elders was exciting. It turned out that even though they were aged, their agility was not inferior to the young knights.

As a result of his handicap, sage Durna was having trouble countering Prabu Drupada's blows, especially because Prabu Drupada recited the magic spell Lembu Sekilan which made him as if he had a shield. This made sage Durna's blows always missed and couldn't injure the opponent's body. This situation made Durna had to rack his brain. He remembered the heirloom of Simbarmanyura arrow awhich was given to him by his teacher, the sage Ramabargawa. When he got opportunity, he chanted the spell to call the arrow, pointed it to his opponent, and released it. Prabu Drupada was killed instantly with the arrow pierced his chest.

Seeing his father was death,  Drestajumena cried, hugging his beloved father's body 

"Father, don't leave me. I want to go with you, father." He cried.

Seeing Drestajumena crying, Prabu Kresna couldn't bear it. He hugged him.

"Don't cry, my brother. Uncle Prabu Drupada died as a flower of the nation. He is now in heaven. Be strong cah bagus (handsome boy)."

Hearing Prabu Kresna' words, Drestajumena calmed down a little. He asked Patih Drestaketu to take his father's body to the camp. After that, he ran after the sage Durna.

Angrily, he challenged the sage

"Uncle Durna, fight me!" he shouted

"You baby, I will not fight you. Send the Pandawa out against me." Durna replied.

Drestajumena drew his sword and attacked Durna. His attacks were very fast. He was known to be agile and fierce, slippery like an eel. Sage Durna was in trouble at the beginning, but the sage Durna was a disciple of Ramabargawa just like the sage Bhishma. Slowly he hit back Drestajumena.

Seeing Drestajumena was pressed, Prabu Kresna ordered Werkodara to kill an elephant named Hestitama.

"Aswatama is dead!!" Werkodara shouted, lying. This shout was echoed many times by the Pandawa's warriors and troops. Hearing these shouts, Durna stopped his attack. He walked like in a dazed.

"Arjuna, is it true that Aswatama died?" he asked Arjuna.

"Yes father sage," Arjuna said slowly.

"I do not believe it !" Durna shouted. "Aswatama my son, is it true that you have died? Do not leave your father, son. What is the meaning of my life without you." Durna cried, tears fell from his eyes.

"Puntadewa, son, you would never lie. Tell me who was death?" Durna asked, holding Prabu Puntadewa's hand.

"Hestitama is dead." King Puntadewa said quietly. His voice was barely audible. Durna's old ears heard it as if Aswatama had died. His body immediately swayed. The death news of his beloved son really broke his soul. He collapsed sitting in the middle of the battlefield.

Seeing Durna was limp, Drestajumena quickly swung his sword and slashed Durna's neck. His head immediately rolled off of his body. Durna fell. Arjuna got angry to see it. He immediately approached Drestajumena. Arjuna's movement caught Srikandi's eyes.

"What do you want to do?" she asked, clutching her husband's hand.

"How could Drestajumena behead someone who has fallen helplessly?" Arjuna said angrily.

"If Drestajumena doesn't do that then who will?" Srikandi asked. "Do you want to do it? Don't you remember that our son, Abhimanyu, died because of Durna's scheming?"

Arjuna was silent.

"Never mind, kangmas. It's his destiny to die at the hands of my brother. Even if he didn't do it, I would do it to avenge my father's death!" Srikandi said with angry eyes. After a moment, she burst into tears. She hugged and wept on her husband's chest.

 She hugged and wept on her husband's chest

Seeing his wife crying, Arjuna was crushed. He hugged his wife tightly.

"Let's go back, dear, we have to take care of father's corpse," he said softly while wiping his wife's tears.