•one• Welcome Home

I was anxious to get to the beach house. I had gotten out of school a few days before, and now we were in the car driving to the house. My family spends the summer there.
I have one sister who's 10 and I'm 14. My sister, Kelsey was complaining of how hot she was to my parents and kept asking when we would get there. I was annoyed, so I plugged in my head phones and put my music on shuffle. Lana Del Rey's "National Anthem" started to play.
With music in my ears, I could relax a little. I thought about all of the memories I had at Cousins beach. I remember coming here as a little girl, I used to chase my brother around and he would put sand down my tank top. I have two best friends that live there and I only get to see them when I come over the summer. Their names are Olivia and Peyton.
"National Anthem" ended and "Fix You" by Coldplay came on.
"Are we there yet?" I could hear my sister say even over my loud music.
"Actually," said my mom, "Yes!"
I quickly yanked my headphones out of my ears and looked out of the window. I rolled it down, and smelled the salty air that you can only find near the ocean.
"Kendall, would you roll that up sweetie? It's a little too hot." said my dad.
"We're at the beach, I need a little air." I replied.
We drove just a little longer and then pulled into the driveway of our little blue beach house.
"Eeeeek!" Kelsey squealed. "We're here!"
I slid on my rainbow brand flip flops that I had taken off during the car ride and then opened my car door.
Since I was so excited while getting out, I wasn't paying attention to where my leg was so I scraped it on the side of the car.
"Ouch!" I screamed.
My sister laughed.
"Oh man, someone find something to stop this bleeding it looks bad." said my dad.
My mom then pulled out a roll of paper towels from one of the bags we packed and wrapped them around my leg.
"Are you ok Ken? What happened?" she said.
"I just scraped it on the door, I'm fine mom." I reassured her.
"Alright sweet heart, be careful." she said. "When we go inside I'll find those bandages that I packed somewhere and put one on your leg."
•••
We walked inside and it was just how we left it. We had cleaned the whole place before we left so it was pretty much spotless. I ran down the hallway to where the bedrooms were. Mine was on the left, my sister's was one the right, and my parent's straight ahead.
I walked into my room to see my light blue walls and off white furniture. My sister's was the same, only her's light yellow walls.
My parent's decorated them when we first got the house, when I was five and Kelsey was one.
I unzipped my suitcase and begin to fill up the drawers. When I opened the third drawer down, I saw a little pink bunny that I used to be obsessed with. I won it at the fair when it came to Cousins. I also saw two old tubes of fruity chapstick and a few hair ties.
*knock knock* I heard on my door.
"Who is it?" I yelled through my closed door.
"Kelsey." said my nosy little sister.
"What do you want?" I yelled back.
"Can you play with me?"
I sighed. "Sure, Kelsey."
"Yay I love you Kendall!" she said.
She came in my door with a bunch of Barbies and stuffed animals in her hands.
"Aren't you a little old for this?" I asked.
"No way!" she said accidentally spitting a little on my right cheek.
"Ew!" I exclaimed.
"Sorry" said Kelsey and giggled a little.
"Hey Kendall? Come get your leg wrapped I don't want it to get any worse." yelled my mom from the other room.
"One sec, ok Kelsey?" I said. "Coming Mom!"
•••
I walked into the main living room and my mom was sitting on the couch with some creme and a bandage in her hand.
"Mom, I didn't like cut off my leg." I said.
"It's pretty bad. Come sit here." said my mom. I sat next to her on the couch and then glanced down at my leg. It did look pretty bad, actually.
She wrapped my leg and then let me go back to my room. By that time, I was tired from the day of traveling and went to bed. I fell asleep with my window open to the sound of waves and salt in the air.
"The summer dream starts here." I said to myself and then was out cold.