Chapter Nine

"Hey Fae," the Umbreon started slowly. His head was lowered as his tail was tucked into his body. Fae's ear twitched. "Huh?" Fae wondered, lifting her head. "Back there...you seemed to be having trouble. You were distressed. Is something wrong?" Eon asked her.

"..."

"Ah, I think I understand. Our mother. You were the last to see her, weren't you? What happened to caused you to freak out so much?" Eon questioned her; His voice was in a whisper.

Isn't it obvious? She's dead you oblivious Umbreon! Fae thought in agitation. She glanced down. And it's all my fault! Fae shook her head. If she said that to Eon he would just try to comfort her in pity. She needed to express how she felt without making him worry.

She sighed. It was now or never. She felt Beautifly flutter around in her stomach. "Well," she began as she fiddled with a little gray rock on the ground—she rolled it around in her paw like she was making a pizza. "I was in fact the last to see mother. She," Fae tried to explain herself. She could feel the surrealness of the dark hole coming back.

"She's never coming back! She's dead! And I just ran away with an ability I didn't even know I had! Now...I don't know what to do. Mother is dead, father and the others are nowhere to be found. I just don't know what to do about it, Eon." She choked out.

The Umbreon just stared at her. Neither shock nor pity in his gaze. He was at a stalemate. He thought things through before talking with her. It was as if he wouldn't allow himself to upset her.

"Well," he began, a paw on his chin. "You can always just wallow in your pity and sorrow for yourself. Seems to be working out just fine. Another option is you can come with me—come with us. We can take care of you. I can help you. You said you ran away with a new ability? Does this happen to be the Run Away ability? I know Eevee can have either one of three abilities: Adaptability, Run Away, and—this is their hidden ability—Anticipation."

Fae nodded. "I believe it was that Run Away ability. I never knew Pokémon could switch between abilities like this. I feel like such a freak." She whispered in disgust. A paw reached out and pet her head. Eon staring at her with affection.

"There's nothing wrong with having many abilities. I myself have two different abilities. They don't make me a freak. In fact, this makes me wanted by humans. That man and his Luxray have been chasing me for years with no end. Being different from others doesn't make you a freak. People and Pokémon have just got to accept who you are. They find that hard already with all the judgments going around about how dark, poison, and ghost-type Pokémon are evil just because of their typing." Eon remarks with a grimace.

"But this is a different scenario. People actually me for who-knows-what, and have been hunting me down! I don't know how to fight, Eon." She wailed as she put her face in her paws. Tears streamed down her face. Why out of everyone did she have to be the one with such powers? Why not Neri or Nike? Nike knows how to kick hard!

"I guess what I'm asking is why does it have to be me with these powers?" She wonders.

Eon sighs, conflict on his face. "I don't understand most of this either, Fae. I do know, however questioning it is pointless. Fighting it is also pointless. You have to accept fate for what it is and Headbutt it like a big shot. Not everything will go to plan, I know that...." Eon trailed off as his conflicting face turned pained. "Sometimes people or Pokémon die, and you must learn to move on without them. It will be hard, but I've learned to move on, and so will you." Eon tried to assure her.

Is he trying...to get me to forget my Jolteon mother who thick and thin helped me, even when she was given the task of doing it without that mean Absol? Fae thought as she gasped lightly. The look on her face said it all.