Jersey

Song

- -

I bit my lip, suddenly really nervous. I felt like I was in trouble and I felt anxious. Dad hugged me again, picking up on my mood like the good father he was. I was thankful for it, hugging him back. My hands were shaking and I hugged him tighter to try and hide it.

"I-" I paused, my voice weak. I cleared my throat, pulling back to look at him. "I thought he went to Europe?" I was stammering. I didn't mean to. I wanted my voice to come out clear.

"I guess he's back. I don't know how he was missed at the airport but there's nothing I can do about it now," he admitted, squeezing my shoulders, "let's go talk to Fred," he said, standing up, and helping me.

He made his way into his second office. Freddie and Vincent were already there. I thought he said he was going to my room but I guess Freddie grabbed him. Dad made his way around to his desk, sitting down. Vincent took me in his arms, comfortably embracing me. When he broke the hug, he made his way over to the brown loveseat, sitting down and pulling me to sit next to him.

"Okay," dad sighed, shuffling through papers before he pulled up a photo. "This is the guy you saw?" I nodded. "Have you seen him there before?"

"No," I answered.

"Yeah, me neither. I'm always with her when she goes, never seen him," Freddie chimed in. Dad nodded, writing something down.

"Imagine if I didn't call you," I breathed, my hands still shaking. I squashed them between my knees. Vincent's tattooed hand came to rest. "Like, he could've killed me, right?"

"Alex," Freddie sighed, my dad visibly bothered.

"Don't say that, Lex," Vincent repeated, moving to grab one of my hands from in between my knees, rubbing it.

"I was just saying," I shrugged. I could hear my heartbeat. I could feel the thumps on my chest. "I could be dead right now."

"No," dad announced, "he wouldn't be nice about it-"

The door opened behind him, I turned to look. Dante came in, muttering an apology before sitting in one of the chairs, putting his briefcase on top of the round coffee table.

"Well," I continued, "I was just acknowledging it. Like, just imagine if I didn't call, then he could've shot me on the street and I would've been on the news."

"He wouldn't have," Dante corrected, "his goal is to get back at Michael, he's only harming you when he could directly see it, publicly."

"News would've been public?"

"No, as in Michael would be there," Dante grimaced.

"But youze were away and that was the only time I've ever seen him at the gym?" I noted, "Why not stalk me when Freddie was there? He'd tell dad? Be paranoid?"

"Well, that's the thing, he's probably stalking you- knew you were alone," Dante answered. Vincent squeezed my hand.

"Stop," dad grunted, "that's enough. Marie, leave, please, I need to do some business," dad said.

I stared at him. "Really?"

"Yes, please, don't make this difficult," dad sighed, rubbing his temples.

"Shouldn't I be aware of everything?" I challenged.

"Doll," Vincent called and I looked up to him, "go, I'll see you later, si?"

I pouted and he squeezed my hand again.

"Go pack, we're gonna leave for Jersey tomorrow morning," dad said as I stood up.