Ch 16

The next day was kind of a blur. The morning was regular. Mom took us out to explore for awhile after breakfast.
It was a park. The name of it was "Brightstone Path". It was a beautiful park. Smooth stone walkway into a garden surrounded in red roses, orange tulips, and white daisies. I closed my eyes as I inhaled the scent.
I sat on the bench just to think and I looked up at the clouds. They reminded me of cotton candy. Fluffy, white cotton candy in the ice blue sky.

I would overthink sometimes, and then just forget what I was thinking about. I went to go lay in an open patch of fresh, green grass. I laid on my back and it reminded me of summer back home. With my best friends, laughing, an throwing water at each other. Our screams and laughs just flooding the neighborhood.

A tear escaped my eye. I brushed it off and kept thinking. "We're like in a giant dome..but you keep going and you'll never get to the edge." " will my thoughts make an impact on what happens?" "If I wish this away..and back to how it used to be..what will happen?"

I worked myself up too much, because tears were pouring down my cheeks before I knew it. I heard footsteps and quickly turned the other way. "You okay?" Jace asked. I knew his voice. I tried to clear my throat as much as I could so when I talked it wouldn't sound shaky. "Yeah. Just tired." The most common lie. But I knew he'd believe it.

He laid next to me. "No. Tell me." Okay I was wrong. This time I turned toward him with tear stains coming from my eyes, and making them look glassy. This felt like déjà vu; when we kissed. Except that I wasn't crying. Whatever. "I just don't know what's going to happen and I'm scared." I sat up and leaned against the tree I was laying under. He copied me. "Me too."

After we exchanged agreeable glances, I got up to go find my mom. "Where you goin?" He starts to get up as well. "To find my mom." He's just like a little puppy who keeps following its owner.

I walked down the cobblestone pathway to this beach. My mom was sitting on a bench looking out at the ocean. The waves engulfing the shore each time it rolled onto the sand. Alex, Luke and Tyler were building a sandcastle and laughing about something. Ariana and Channing splashing each other in the ocean, laughing as well. They seemed so happy. Like they had totally forgotten our homes were destroyed, along with our families and friends. Like they didn't have a care in the world.

My mom's curly blonde hair whipped around her face in the wind as she tried to keep it behind her ears, knowing it wouldn't stay. I walked up to her and sat down.

After an uncomfortable 2 minutes of silence, I spoke. "What's going to happen?... To us? Where will we go?" She just kept staring at the water with a serious look on her face, and squinting as the sun stung her eyes. "We'll be okay" was all she said. But that didn't satisfy me. "Mom. Please tell me. Are we moving again? Are we going to sta-." Her silent stare cut me off. "Do you trust me?" She said. "Yes." She turned back toward the ocean and I knew that meant that our conversation was done.

I don't know if it was just me, but my mom seemed to be acting weird lately. A thought stirred in my mind, that I kept pushing aside. "Had she known about the world ending before?" " What is she planning to do?" " Why are we here?" I closed my eyes and thought of other things.

The wind blew through my straight, dirty blond hair, whipping it into my face as I processed my thoughts. I got up from the bench and walked to the water. I slid my toes into the soft, mucky brown sand by the water. The salty liquid rippled back and forth on my feet, cooling them from the burning sun. I waded in further until the water just covered my knees. The saltiness stung my sensitive skin, but I ignored it as I walked a little farther. I stopped when the water reached my thighs. I splashed the water around with my hands, before running them through my knotted hair.