Ch 17

I somehow woke up in my bed with the sheets sprawled all over the floor. Without bothering to look in the mirror, I walked down stairs on the cold wooden floor. It felt like déjà vu. Except this time, it was worse.

"Hi guys!" I said smiling. Alex's glossy hazel eyes gave me a worried look. I immediately stopped smiling. "What's going on?" I asked walking toward my mom who was sitting in a chair looking at her feet. "Hon..we can't find Luke." I started hyperventilating and asking lots of questions. "Wha-what do you mean? Where did he go? Did you even look for him?! He needs us." From there I started crying on the floor. Mom tried to reply, but I caused her to cry again.

I didn't care. I quickly ran up stairs, changed into whatever I pulled out of my drawers and threw it on. I didn't even bother to wash my face and brush my teeth. I popped a piece of gum in my mouth, tied my converse and ran out the door faster than anyone could say "wait".

I started at the beach. I screamed and screamed his name until my voice cracked. I ran down the beach to the cave he once hid at, hoping he was there. Obviously everyone looked, but why didn't they call the police? I ran in the dark, musty cave. My pounding footsteps echoed in the distance. "LUKE!" I screamed. *no answer*. I didn't waste time.

I ran from the cave to the road by our house. I kept running and running down the road screaming and looking, while panicking at the same time. I could feel my lungs burning as I struggled to catch my breath. My legs felt numb, and my gut cramped. I held it and kept running. No way I would give up this easily. I ran down the street until I saw a forest to my left. I figured it was worth a try.

Just as I was running, a rumbling sound knocked me to the ground. "Earthquake?" I thought before my head hit the ground so hard I passed out. The next thing I know, I wake up with dirt in my mouth and I'm still on the ground. It was raining. "What kind of storm is this?" I said to myself. I went into the woods and the only sounds I could hear were my deep breaths and the snap of twigs as I raced over them.

From a distance I thought I saw something on the ground. I squinted to see clearer. My eyes widened when I figured out who was on the ground.
Tears flooded down my cheeks as I called out. "Luke! Luke!" I slid down on my knees next to him, scraping my fair skin in the process.

Crying, I held his head in my lap. My tears dripped onto his cheeks and glided off. I didn't hear him breathing but I didn't check for a heart beat. I put my ear to his chest and felt a very faint beating. Tears poured down my cheeks even more. My put my lips to his and for a moment I felt something. I don't know what it was, but I shook it off. I blew my hot breath into his mouth to get him to breathe. I pushed in his heart to get it beating more. I repeated the same process over and over until he sat up, gasping for air.

He saw me, with his beat up, bruised face. A tear ran down my cheek and he wiped it away. I brought him close to me as he laid on my lap. I didn't think twice before I bent down and kissed his forehead. He snuggled closer in my lap and I took one breath of relief.

The rain kept going on. The water pelted my shoulder and ran down my goosebumps covered skin. It dripped from my hair onto Luke's face. My stomach felt weird. "What is this feeling?" I asked myself in my head. "You know what it is!" I kept yelling at myself. "Love! You love him!" I closed my eyes tightly still yelling at myself in my head. "No! No! I love Jace! Not Luke! He was an old crush! I don't love him! I know I don't." I tried to convince myself even though deep down I had feelings that I never knew about.

Looking down at Luke's poor beat up face, for some reason, I felt the urge to kiss him...

Kiss his thick, pale red lips. Hugging his broad chest. Ruffling his brown shaggy hair. Maybe.. I did love him. No. That couldn't be. I kissed Jace already! I love Jace. No one else. I can't. I won't.