Ch 11

I guess we must have fallen asleep, because I woke up with sand on my face and probably stuck in my hair. Jace was next to me, his hand still locked in mine. We had taken off our shoes a couple feet from where we were, and I felt the cool water on my toes. I wriggled them and looked at Jace. He was still sleeping peacefully. I started to get up slowly, trying not to wake him. Apparently that didn't work because his eyes fluttered open, softly. "Hey you're awake!" I said, with a whispering tone. "I guess so. My back hurts". "Same here. Wanna go inside for breakfast?" "Ok". He said following me to the entrance of our hotel. When we walked inside, it smelled like chlorine and French toast. "Yum" I whispered. We walked into the dining area and ate. After, we went upstairs to take showers. But everyone was freaking out. My mom came up to me and said "have you seen him?? Did you find him??" "What? Mom, who?" She paused still looking. "Luke! He's gone." Ok I knew he wouldn't do that. Was he mad at me for liking Jace. Wait. "I think I know where he is." I left the room before my mom could answer. I saw him walk to this one cave everyday, but I didn't think much of it. It's quite a walk, but I'm going to run anyway. It took me about 5 minutes to actual get to the cave. I walked in and called out to Luke. "Luke are you in here?" ...no answer. "Luke! Please! Come out." My voice echoed throughout the cave. But still I heard nothing. I walked a little further into the cave. I called out quietly "Luke?" Still there was no answer. I leaned my back against the wall of the cave, and slid down until I was crouched down with my knees close to my chest. I took a deep sigh. Just then I heard the shuffling of feet. I turned toward the noise, and stood up, backing away. I thought about running, but then re-thought that after I realized what could be in this cave. I heard a soft but tense voice. It was male. "Stop." I paused not knowing what to say. "Who are you?" As soon as I saw his foot peak out from the darkness. I knew who it was. "Luke?" He didn't anything, for what seemed like forever. His voice calmed, and he sounded sad. "I-I'm sorry I hid. I was upset. And this is where I go to be alone." "But why?" He kept pausing after I talked every time. It got annoying. "I guess I just couldn't watch you and Jace being together." I looked at him with a sympathetic face, before I walked up to him, kissed him on the cheek, and hugged him. He was quite taken by my actions, so it took him a minute to enjoy the embrace. I pulled away from him. "We need to go back to the hotel. Everyone's worried about you. " he nodded in agreement. I didn't feel like running back, so we walked. As we came into sight, my mom, my brothers Jace and the rest ran up to us. "Oh my goodness are you two ok? You've been gone an hour!" My mom said worried. "Yeah mom. Just needed to have a talk." Everyone seemed to calm down. My mom was the first to speak. "Ok well then, I was thinking we could go somewhere else. Since nothing has happened since we were in L.A. But you know..soon it will come here." She stopped talking. It was enough to scare us. "Where is the safest place to go?" I asked. She paused and stared me in the eye. I felt uncomfortable so I looked away. "I don't know yet. I honestly don't where any safe place would be. We have to work together to survive." Everyone nodded in agreement.