Chapter 13

Sitting at the dressing table in the bedroom, she was applying a light evening makeup, already being fully dressed in dark jeans and a silk top, blazer and heels already laid out. She smiled happily at her reflection in the mirror thinking of all the stuff they had been up to until now.

After his apology and his announcement of the plans for the night, they had made themselves comfortable on the couch, going through their camera rolls, trying to pick out a picture of them that would make a statement.

She had wholeheartedly agreed with him: they would not let themselves being held hostage by the paps, and they sure could ruin their business by putting a pic out there themselves. Who would buy a blurry pic of two people getting into a car when they got a beautiful couple pic for free?

She had stumbled upon a series of pictures Courteney had send her after a group dinner they had at her house a few weeks ago. They had all been seated around the table in her Bel Air garden, and she had made herself comfortable in his lap, wrapped up in his tight embrace, while for a moment both of them had forgotten other people where around. They had practically been glowing in the early evening air, right before sunset, and their friend could not help but pick up her phone and snap a series of pics without them even noticing. Those pics were genuine, authentic and transpired as much love as it was possible for a simple smartphone pic. Plus, they both looked gorgeous in them.

She had already been feeling tears well up in her eyes when she held the display out to him without any words. He had looked at it and started to grin sheepishly.

In that moment his phone had started to buzz in his hand, his rep's name flashing on the display. He had motioned her "Sorry, wait a second!"

"Hey Ina... oh that's good! Thank you so much for digging! ... Yes, yes, she is right beside me! We will go over it right now and let you know! Thank you so much. Bye"

After hanging up the phone, he had turned to her:

"Ina made a few calls and quite obviously the guy did not have the guts to offer those pics of a very pissed me to any outlet. I think I really might have sacred him, and the pic simply was not worth taking the risk of me sueing his ass off. Ina talked to Stephen and set up a document to release, that she wanted to email me.... there is is!" He had said when he had looked at his display while still talking, tapping on the email.

She had moved over to his side and they looked over the text together, that on the one hand confirmed the relationship formally, on the other hand criticized common tabloid tactics especially referring to the intruding incident this morning.

They had looked at each other and nodded their head in consent, and he had quickly replied to the mail giving instructions to release the statement right when they were headed for dinner. Then they had returned their attention back to the picture topic.

He had wrapped his arms around her neck to pull her in to kiss the top of her head, saying: "This is beautiful. Leave it as is! No filters or stuff!".

After sending him the file of the pic, they had both opened their Instagrams and selected the pic to post, all they still needed was a caption. After some brainstorming they had decided on a simple "Only took us 27 years ❤" in combination with the tag of the respective other.

Shortly after they had posted this, the group of guys out on the steps across the street had slimmed down from 6 to 3. But those 3 were still very persistent.

After everything was said and done, they had muted their phones again and had spend then rest of the afternoon cuddling and napping in bed, before they started to get ready for the night. He was already downstairs, talking to his daughter on the phone, when she took one last look at herself in the mirror, feeling mighty fine.

She put on her heels, put on the blazer and grabbed her purse, before heading down to meet him as he walked over to the staircase with a special sparkle in his eyes. He looked dashing as always with his trademark spiky hair, jeans, black button down shirt and black shoes, leaving the sneakers be sneakers for this special occasion. He extended his hand to her, making sure she took the last stairs safely before pulling her in for a hug and a peck on the lips, careful not to catch an obvious amount of lip glass. He took her in, before complimenting her:

"You look breathtaking! I can't wait to show you off"

She slightly blushed at that, replying: "Well I can only give that back."

Before they could kiss another time, they could see the headlights of a car pulling up to the sidewalk infornt of the house. He dug his phone out of his pocket, checking his incoming messages.

"Car is here. You ready?"

"As ready as I will be! I love you!"

"And I love you!" He replied, taking her hand and I entwining his fingers with hers while reaching for the door knob with his other hand.

He pulled the door open, him being half a step ahead of her as if to shield her from people. They immediately were hit with the flashlights of the paps that the driver tried to keep at a distance from the car. They quickly walked over, both smiling, but looking down to not end up blind, not listening to what those people yelled at them. Within seconds, they safely sat in the back of the car, and the driver closed the door behind them. When their surroundings got quiet, they relaxed instantly and gave each other a loving smile. He provided the driver with instructions on where to take them and the car set into motion.

He put his arm around her shoulder and she leant her head on his as they looked at the lights of the busy city passing by the window. As soon as they reached Broadway, the traffic got more busy and the smooth drive changed into more of a stop and go, which they did not mind at all. They were out, on their first date, in this beautiful city, and nothing could beat this feeling. They would have kissed again if it wouldn't have felt stupid with the masks they had put on after entering the car.

After about half an hour, the car drove up to the side entrance of the restaurant he had made a reservation at, and they were greeted by the manager, who lead them to a lovely table in a slightly secluded area of the restaurant that offered them a maximum of privacy. The room was dimly lit, soft Italian music was playing, and a single candle was lighting the table. The setting reminded her of some cheesy old movie she couldn't recall, and she was all up for it. Looking at him, smiling excitedly, chocolate brown eyes sparkling with love, the light of the candle reflecting in them, she felt a bit like a teenager. They decided on a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparking water, taking all the time in the world to study the menu and decide on their food while waiting for the drinks to arrive. This was the first time they were doing this and they wanted to enjoy every second of it. They toasted each other, drowning in each other's eyes, already drunk on their own happiness. When she put her hand on the table, he landed his ontop of hers, and she felt a shiver run down her spine.

She had believed to be in love a few times in her life already, and while she had deeply cared about any man she had been with, and put herself all in each and every time, this felt entirely different. The level of comfort combined with a strong magnetism towards him, that was something she never thought would be possible. They never seemed to run out of topic for conversation, but still could enjoy silence together. And while this was the simplest of dates, it could not be more special to her. This night would be in her heart forever, just as this man would always own it.

They took their time, splurging on multiple courses and sitting together until the candle was brunt town and the waiter discretely started rummaging around because he wanted to close down.

He texted the driver to come pick them up again to bring them back home. The steps infront of the house opposite his were now empty when they made their way into the house, falling into an endless kiss as soon as the door closed behind them, leaving a trail of strewn items of clothing on the way up to the bedroom.