7. Let's Be Adults Here

After my, encounter, with Meliodas, I ran right out of my father's office and locked the door of my room behind me

After my, encounter, with Meliodas, I ran right out of my father's office and locked the door of my room behind me. I stood there with both hands on the door above my head, which hung between my shoulders.

What the fuck was that?

My breathing came out in short, rapid pants, and I thought that maybe I was having a panic attack. After I clenched my eyes shut and tried to focus on my breathing, I moved to my bed and plopped down on it.

That was so wrong. Meliodas was my bodyguard. In movies aren't bodyguards supposed to be all, withdrawn and blunt? Their job is to protect, not flirt.

Definitely not kiss.

I groaned into my mattress and laid there with my eyes shut. I don't know when I fell asleep, but the next time I opened my eyes, it was daytime, and I had a huge pain in my neck.

I grabbed my phone off my pillow and sighed, seeing it was almost flat, and 7:53 am. My mind went back to memories of last night.

Meliodas kissed me.

And, I liked it.

As much as I hate to admit, his lips felt good against my own - warm, smooth and soft. I sighed again and found myself flinching as three knocks sounded from the door.

"Yes?" I croaked, pushing myself up on the bed and casting my gaze toward the door. A few maids trailed in with the usual cart of tea. They smiled at me, and I smiled back. But then I remembered Meliodas telling me that everyone listens.

My smile faltered but didn't disappear completely. I thanked them for the tea, and after a few moments, I excused them. Their faces were slightly shocked, but they nodded and bolted for the door, leaving the tea cart behind.

I helped myself to the beverages before I changed out of my slept-in pajamas to a baggy shirt and some jeans, tucking the shirt in behind the button. I headed into the bathroom and combed my hair, washed my face, and brushed my teeth, then I left my room and bounded down the stairs toward the dining area.

Of course, I didn't even think Meliodas would be sitting at the end of the table, a newspaper in one hand and a steaming coffee in the other.

I halted in my steps, blinking at him. Then my cheeks flushed crimson.

Relax, I told myself. Let's be adults here.

I almost shook my head before I took a seat in my usual spot, and kindly accepted the plate of bacon and eggs from the butler who was waiting nearby. The older man smiled grimly before silently offering me some juice, which I accepted.

I looked at Meliodas, but he paid me no attention. I almost frowned as I poked the egg yolk.

~

Breakfast went by with very minimum words exchanged, and I found myself scurrying off back to my room shortly after the butlers cleaned up. I gathered my art supplies which I left by the door of my room, and gazed out of my window.

I decided that the view would spark up some inspiration, and so I sat by the window and opened up my briefcase. I grabbed my earphones and my MP3, and pressed shuffle on the playlist. I smiled gently as one of Duran Duran's songs came on.

I leaned against the window sill and pulled my legs up, bent at the knees. I rested my notepad, which was turned to a clean page, on my thighs, and sighed.

I allowed my eyes to fall downward from the window, eyeing the view. It was so green. Seeing it reminded me of Meliodas's eyes. I frowned and groaned, tugging the earbuds from my ears and aggressively rubbing my temples.

When I opened my eyes, I decided I would confront him about that kiss.

I pushed the art supplies from my lap and leapt off the cushioned ledge - landing gracefully on the carpet. I marched out of my room and made a beeline for his room. I shoved the door open and waltzed inside, my hands in the air.

"You shouldn't kiss girls for no -" the words froze in my mouth as my eyes fell on a very muscular back. The ridges of his muscles flexed as he rummaged through his drawer, the slightly tanned skin glistened as beads of water slipped down it.

But what caught my eye most, was the huge dragon tattoo that travelled from the bottom of his neck, down his spine, and ended at his lower back. I gasped just as he turned around, his dark towel hanging dangerously low, exposing a well defined v-line.

"I- uh," I blinked and turned around, my face boiling.

I could hear the smirk in his voice as he spoke his next words.

"You shouldn't barge into a man's room for no reason, but hello to you too."

I clenched my hands at my side and let out a small exhale. I spun back around, trying my best to avoid staring at his pecks and abs that seemed to-

"Y/N?" He said, his eyebrow raised. I shook my head and took a step closer, pointing my finger accusingly.

"Why did you kiss me last night?"

"Why did you run away?"

"Because I didn't want to kiss you!" I hesitated, dropping my gaze to the floor.

"Are you sure about that? Was I that bad?" His smile glinted at me, and my stomach flipped.

"Yes I'm sure, and yes, actually, you were horrible," I stuck my nose in the air and folded my arms across my chest. When he didn't respond straight away, I looked at him from the side of my eye, catching him staring at my chest.

"Excuse me?" I gaped, throwing my hands down to my side in a way that resembled a tantrum. I considered stomping my foot for an added effect.

"Well, if that's the case," he tilted his head and began walking toward me, which made me take a step back, "you should let me redeem myself."

"First of all," I started, bumping into the door as I took another step back, which caused it to shut, "what part of bodyguard do you not understand? You're way too comfortable and flirtatious with me. Second of all-"

By then he had reached me, and my back was pressed against the door. I wanted to open the door and run back to my room, but the independent woman in me fought against it. If he wants to be dominant, I'll show him that it doesn't phase me.

I can be intimidating too.

"Secondly?" He asked, his face nearing mine with every step he took.

"Uh," I stammered, my eyelashes fluttering as his presence began to overwhelm me.

Think, don't let him think he affects me!

I couldn't think of anything else to say, and I watched with a slight pout as he put his arms above my head and leaned closer, his green eyes darker than normal as his shaggy hair, still damp from his shower, dangled into his eyes.

"Meliodas," I whispered, my final attempt of resistance feeble. I watched under my lashes as he smiled, his teeth white and straight.

"Yes?" He said as his minty breath fanned my face. I didn't want to say anything else, I just stood there, part of me excited about him being this close, the other disappointed that I let him affect me this much.

Sensing my nerves, he pulled away, and watched me intently. I finally let go of a breath I didn't realise I was holding, my heart almost beating out of my chest. I went to speak, looking into his eyes as if the sight of his shimmering orbs would aid me in formulating a coherent sentence.

When nothing came out, I quickly left the room.