32. Relocating

It felt as if I had been there for weeks, but I knew it was only a few days. 

My entire body was stiff and achy from sitting in the same chair for the entire duration of this ransom. It went through endless stages of sweating during the sweltering day, to shivering in the wintry night. The smells that had begun emanating from me could kill a bear, and if I weren't so numb, I probably would have cared. 

I didn't need a mirror to know I had bruises and grazes not only on my body but on my face, from Howser. Every hour that passed from when he texted my father, he grew more rigid, and what I saw as his obsession with me, turned into hatred. 

I wasn't working in this ransom as well as he thought. 

Part of me began hating my father for his lack of care about my abduction. Of course, now it made sense what he really did in his job, I didn't understand his hesitation. 

But then again, my father had always been a selfish man. 

I tried to scratch the crusted hair from my face with my shoulder, but the flexibility in my neck was next to nothing from the lack of mobility. I huffed as I clenched my eyes shut and slowly lifted my head back up, my lips pressed together tightly. 

I seethed at the stabbing pain in my joints that sparked up just from that small movement, but I was grateful to be in a new position, even if it hurt. 

"Bartra's not coming, but we have intel that we may have company very soon," a voice said in a hushed tone from behind me, through the door. My ears perked at the comment, but that was as much effort as I could muster. 

It had to be Meliodas. Maybe the police? I mentally shook my head. 

That would be a stupid idea, bringing the police into a ransom where both parties had several penalties linked to their names. Something like this could be the final piece to the puzzle the federals need. 

Howser's voice barked back at the man in a much louder tone, sending a shiver down my spine. 

"We need to relocate her then, in case we are taken down. At least we could get Fraudrin or Galand to come and grab her once they realize she wasn't where they thought. We didn't even tell them where we were, how did they find out?" 

My mind began to spin as the last slither of hope slipped between my fingers. 

The door swung open, and gratefully, it was dusk, so the sun didn't blare into the shed like it usually did. I didn't even flinch as the steel banged loudly against the sheets of the warehouse wall. Fast-paced footsteps pattered closer to me from behind, and I didn't have time to register them being right behind me until the rope began loosening against me. 

I sighed instinctively as my body slumped forward in relief, which didn't last long. Howser rounded my chair and forcefully ripped me to my feet via my underarms, his face close to mine. 

My eyes drowsed from exhaustion as he dangled me in front of him, my body still very much naked. I had grown accustomed to it once he had started becoming aggressive toward me, which meant he wouldn't assault me. Sexually at least

I tried to ignore the memory of him strangling me earlier in the day for answers about my father and Meliodas. I didn't budge of course. 

"The container," Howser's breath blew into my face, the stale smell of coffee that came with it making my stomach churn. He palmed me off to another man, who gripped the backs of my knees and hoisted me into his arms. The guy next to him tied my wrists together. 

The rope was uncomfortable of course - it was tight - but it was better than my earlier situation. I was limp in the burly man's hold as we left the shed and delved further into the construction site. I tried to keep my eyes open for clues as to where we actually were, but everything went by in a blur. 

Instead, I turned my face up to the sky and tried to focus on the remaining daylight. Nighttime scared me here, so did the daytime, but there was something eerie about the night that kept me awake. 

The blackening sky served as a backdrop for the dusty purple clouds that molded gently in the wind, which seemed to be picking up with every step we took. A small smile graced my dry lips at the sight. It had been days since I'd seen the sky. 

It was a shame I didn't watch the sunset, who knows how long I'd be trapped with these men. Even if Meliodas did find the warehouse, there's no indication of where I was taken next. 

They were obviously confident that wherever they were taking me, I wouldn't be found. 

Thick tears welled in my eyes at the thought that this may be the last time I'd see the sky. 

I wouldn't be leaving easily without my father's end of the deal. And he wasn't keen on handing it over. 

It could be months of this shit. 

I suddenly didn't feel tired anymore. This wouldn't work well for me later when I'd be too scared to fall asleep. The man slowed down until he wasn't walking at all, and a loud screech pierced the tranquil evening. I peered around the man's shoulder at Howser, who had opened a shipping container. 

"Put her in," he instructed once he opened the door enough for me to fit inside. My eyes widened at the realization that I was going to be trapped in a tiny, suffocating box. 

I didn't know how I pulled the effort to scream, but I paired it with violent thrashing and kicking. I tried to pry myself out of his hold, now tight compared to its gentle nature earlier. The tears that built up in my eyes began to spill down my cheeks, but my stamina depleted quickly as the man stuffed me inside of the hot shipping container, and slammed the thick door in my face. 

My breathing hitched in my throat as darkness enveloped me, most sounds being muffled from the outside of the steel walls. I stopped crying instantly, rather I fell to the floor, my knees hitting the floor hard enough for a whimper to leave my lips. 

I rubbed them as I tried to soothe myself and stop the oncoming panic attack. It didn't work, but afterward, I had managed to fall asleep.