36. Distraction

After Meliodas and I hugged until it was completely dark out, he brought me over to his bed and pulled me to his side. Despite sleeping until the late afternoon, I was starting to get sleepy, and being this relaxed with him definitely didn't do me any favors since I wanted Meliodas to keep holding me. 

"Guess what..." His voice was hoarse, and I struggled to lift my head off his chest to make eye contact. When I saw he wasn't crying, I hummed in response and returned to my former position. I was nestled into his side with an arm and a leg over him, my frizzy hair sprawled around my head. 

"Your father knows about us now," he began, which made me freeze for a second. After his words marinated, I couldn't help but feel glad, and I embraced the smile that made itself known on my lips. I shut my eyes and continued to listen to the thrumming of his heart against my temple. 

"Yeah, I uh, kind of threw a fit before I found you, and your father asked me about why I acted that way..." he trailed off, and I chuckled slightly. Trust Meliodas to do something like that. 

"Is he... okay with it?" I asked, a gentle frown tugging at my brows. He made an 'mhm' sound, and I sighed. 

"Well, then what happens here?" 

"I'm not sure, he hasn't fired me yet, but that's still a high possibility." 

I brushed it off to think about at a later time, right then, I just wanted to focus on him. My hand began tracing patterns on his soft shirt as I tried to think about something to say. 

"Thank you," I whispered, the rims of my eyes beginning to sting. 

His hand fell to my hair, where he ran his fingers through the strands, getting caught in the frizz and knots. I shut my eyes and focused on my breathing to get rid of the oncoming tears. 

"I'm so happy I found you," he whispered back, and I embraced the butterflies that ignited in my belly. It reminded me of my dream and the kiss. I stopped tickling his chest to touch my lips gently. 

"I need to ask you a favor," I swallowed. 

"Anything," his voice was desperate. I blushed at what I was going to ask him but decided what was there to lose. 

"I had a dream," I stuttered, thinking of the right words, "that we were running in a field of flowers, and I was wearing this really pretty dress." His silence egged me on, but with every word, I grew more nervous. 

I needed him to help me forget what happened. I knew it would never happen again, and I didn't want it to hold me back from my life with Meliodas. I didn't want Howser's hold on me being lifelong, and I thought with Meliodas, he could help me. 

"You told me, that you loved me," my voice drew out into a whisper, and the next part was barely audible, even to my own ears, "and we were going to kiss." If it weren't for the jump in his heartbeat, I would've thought he didn't hear me. But after a few seconds, his fingers trailed to the base of my neck, still intertwined in my hair. His hold tightened somewhat and gently pulled me up to face him. 

My gaze was shy as I slowly dragged it from his chest, up to his face, which was full of understanding. I heard a shuddered breath leave my lips, and he did too because his eyes dropped to my mouth. 

"Would you like to continue what would have happened in the dream, Y/N?" His voice was thick, and the mere sound of it made the pressure between my legs intensify. I struggled to nod in his hold, but at the slight indication that yes, I did want my dream to continue, his eyes half blinked and his tongue darted out to wet his lips. 

He let go of my hair to carefully use the arm that I was laying on to pull me into his lap, with his back half inclined on the headboard. My heart was racing at the new position, where my head was slightly above his, and I wondered if he'd done this so I wouldn't feel trapped under him.