15. Etching Memories

I'll be honest, given my reputation and those who I spend time with, Diane, Merlin, etcetera, I haven't really explored this town besides the cafes and that book store. On our big shopping days, or when we wanted to have fun, we would just leave town for the day.

I hadn't even known there was an art gallery here.

That fact saddened me a bit since I used to be into art.

I stared up at the older building in awe as its sandstone color resembled a pale sun, with lighter ionic-styled pillars. A few flags atop several poles danced in the breeze.

"Hopefully they have some nice pieces in here, hey?" Meliodas said as he took my hand in his. I looked at our fingers and smiled before I began swinging our arms obnoxiously.

We began ascending the polished stairs toward the entrance, which consisted of two big doors that were held open by tall signs, which showcased some of the content inside the gallery. I didn't get to read it though, the lady at the front desk ushered us inside quickly.

"This is so beautiful," I gushed as my white flats tapped on the brown and yellow-toned grid tiles, which blended perfectly into the cream-colored walls. White polyurethane skirting separated the walls and floor but bordered around the giant artwork on the ceiling.

The artwork was in a similar style as the Creation of Adam painting by Michelangelo, and at closer inspection, looked as if it could be a parody of the classic. My lips were parted as my eyes scanned over the colors on the ceiling, utterly speechless.

How did I not know this was here?

"Ah yes, that's one of the favourites of this gallery - it is indeed a parody of the famous Creation of Adam piece, with a less religious, more environmental approach," the lady at the desk commented, aware of my obvious curiosity. I nodded slowly and pieced together why it looked more like the Garden of Eden than the original.

"Thank you," Meliodas responded, and we delved deeper into the gallery.

Down hallways were many paintings of the renaissance style, usually surrounded by the classic gold frame. Small artist notes were written underneath, and we took our time to read through them.

My favourite area was the long, tall corridor which housed many giant paintings of famous figureheads who had long passed. They were obviously replicas, but the long, red patterned rug reminded me of Buckingham Palace.

After a few hours of wandering around, we left the museum and found a small eatery nearby, which had a more cramped, homey feel to it. Meliodas and I sat outside by the glass window, surrounded by flowers, small statues, and a little stereo.

Meliodas could sense my good mood as he reached over the wobbly table and held my hands.

"This is lovely, I can't believe I haven't even tried to see what this town already has to offer, like the gallery," I pointed at the bright building a few blocks down, "I had no clue it was even there, and now this," I gestured to the hanging plants, wind chimes and flowers around us, "so much character."

A plump woman came out with a teapot and two teacups and began pouring us some of the steaming beverage.

"Thank you," we said with polite smiles as she began walking away. As the occasional car drove by, we drank our tea and chatted about the art pieces.

As time passed, thick clouds had begun to roll across the sky, and I watched them wearily.

"Maybe we should start heading back to the estate, it looks like it might rain and I'd rather not ride back soaking wet," I suggested, as I wiped the corners of my mouth with a napkin. Meliodas made a 'hm' sound before he threw some notes on the table and stood up.

"You're right," he looked at the clouds which had dampened the atmosphere now the sun was blocked out. We both began walking down the cobblestone path toward the art gallery, each step hurrying.

By the time we got to the bike, it was significantly darker, and drops of water fell onto the pavement. Cars had their headlights turned on.

"It cannot be possible for the weather to change that fast," I groaned, accepting my inevitable fate.

We were going to be drowned rats by the time we got back.

It was a ten-minute bike ride, and luckily for us, it was nearing the school pick-up time.

Meliodas chuckled and slid onto his seat, me hot on his trail. We pulled on our helmets and ensured the visors were secured before he started the bike.

The roar of the bike fell in sync with the rumbling from behind the gunmetal grey clouds.

Meliodas backed us out of our parking space before he lifted his legs and revved the engine, trying to beat the storm.

My grip on his jacket tightened as he picked up the pace, weaving through the building traffic before he reefed his hand back and sped up the hill. I gasped but forced my eyes to stay open, watching ahead.

Thick water droplets splattered against my visor and trailed to the sides in a squiggly motion. I tried to see past them, but the rain started getting heavier, and I shuddered at the feeling of it on my bare skin and through my dress.

I internally groaned at the turn of events.

But at the same time, I'd accomplished so many new things today.

I rode a motorbike, I went to an art gallery and I tried out a new cafe. I had begun looking forward to going out of the house to explore my own town. And with Meliodas, we were trying these new things together.

I smiled and closed my eyes, trying to etch the memory into my brain forever.

Me here like this, my arms around Meliodas as we rode his motorbike in the rain. It probably would sound lame to anyone else, but to me, this was special.

Before I knew it, we had pulled into the driveway of the estate, and through the thick rain, I managed to see my father's car.

Shit.