Chapter 1

Why my parents decided to live in Florida, I have no idea. I've only been outside for 30 minutes, doing literally nothing, and I'm sweating buckets. I sighed. Will is coming today and man, I am so fucking nervous. My hair probably looks like I just got out of bed. Just the length of it is bad enough. I need to cut it. Wait. Right. Will.

Last year, for my 16th birthday, I managed to convince my parents to get me a DNA test. Yes, Mom's had one before, and her results were pretty uneventful. Bit of Irish heritage here, a bit of Norwegian here, and everything else: English. But Dad's adopted. And I wanna know more about that side of my family y'know? So blah blah blah spit in a tube blah blah, and my results were in. The results were mostly the same as my mother's, but I did get talking to a cousin on my dad's side.

Turns out, Dad's got an older sister who moved to England in her twenties. She got married, then had a kid. Will Gold. Who so happens to be my cousin. We got to talking and video calling, and whatnot. Then I came across a youtube video by him under the name "Wilbur Soot." I saw he was a streamer as well, so I joined a stream that he was hosting at the moment. I had a good time. I decided to donate and see if he would notice it was me. I put in $10 and typed a message: "Hey Wilbs! Bet you won't come to Florida to meet me - Fiona"

A minute later, I listened to the robotic voice read out my message. Will hesitated for a moment, then after clicking around on his computer a bit said, "Thank you so much Fiona for the $10! Wait... Fiona...?"

I had watched his eyes flick back and forth across his screen. "Fia? Are you inviting me to Florida?"

He pulled out his phone and tapped it and suddenly my phone was buzzing on my desk. It read "Will is Calling." I answered.

"Fiona?"

"Mhmm?"

"Did you invite me to Florida just now?"

"I bet you that you wouldn't."

"Oh sorry, ma'am, is there anything else I should know?"

I paused, thinking before whispering into the phone's microphone, "You should totally come to meet me in Florida."

He chuckled. "You're on."

I smiled, and said, "I look forward to it. Talk later?"

"Sure," He replied.

I clicked the red button and hung up on him.

Fast forward to now, where Will is supposed to be here in an hour or two. And after sitting out here for worst 30 minutes of my life, I called my best friend. I listened to it ring a couple times before a soft, "Hello?"

"Hey Leo."

"Hey. What's up?"

"Oh, you know. Just my cousin from England that's famous is coming to visit me today. And then he's staying for a month."

"Anxious?"

"Nooo, not at all. I obviously have social skills, haven't you noticed them?" I asked sarcastically.

She chuckled, "Lemme guess. You went outside for some fresh air?"

"No... because I want to be sure to catch him as soon as he gets here."

A twig snapped behind me, scaring me shitless. I whirled around, staring at the bush behind me. "Leo?" I whispered.

"Yeah?"

"If I stop responding I want you to call the cops."

"Got it."

I crouched down to look under the bush and saw a pair of large sneakers. They looked a bit more on the guy-ish side of the spectrum, so I assumed it was someone who was a lot taller and bigger than me. Standing back up, I tucked a fly away behind my ear and said, "Sir, I appreciate your  determination to rob my house, but I have a, um, a lawn chair with me and im not afriad to use it!"

A British accent came out from behind the bush, and the man stepped out, revealing a young man with brown curly hair that was tucked under a gray beanie, a pale yellow t-shirt, and a pair of blue jeans. "I don't know if you want to do that. I mean, I just got here after a 9 hour flight just to come meet you."

My eyes widened in recognition and I ran forward, almost taking him down with a hug. "WILL!" I yelled.

"Hey Fiona," He laughed, wrapping his arms around me.

Even though I was an average height for my age, my head barely reached his shoulder. I backed up and said, "Sorry, I've been out here for a while. I'm all sweaty."

"It's fine. What have you been doing out here? It's hot as blazes." He said, keeping his hands on my shoulders.

"Fresh air?"

He raised an eyebrow, then said in an exaggerated tone, "Is that so?"

I rolled my eyes. "Why, yes, of course it is!"

He fanned his face and found a spot on the driveway to sit on. "Oh my God, really?"

"Yeah. c’mon,  let’s go inside."

"Okay! Wait. Photo? I want to document this trip. I need more pictures in my house."

"Sure! Just, can you blur my face?"

"Of course."

He pulled me in for another hug and raised his phone to take a selfie. "You should send me that" I told him. "And now. I don't have all day."

We separated, and sat down side by side. I watched him put in the caption for the now edited picture, and smiled slightly. "Aww, that's sweet,'' I said, pointing at the tiny words on the screen.

"Well, why wouldn't I put it if it's true?"

"I dunno."

He poked my forehead and posted the photo. Almost immediately, a notification came through on my phone. I clicked on it. Already the post had hundreds of likes.

Wilbur Soot @WilburSoot

(photo)

Just got to Florida after a 9 hour flight. Jet lag is annoying, but look at my cousin and me!
♡ 21.4k