Turnaround, Part One...

A plan fresh in both their minds, the Maitlands floated downstairs to the second floor. They eventually coming to a stop just outside of Lydia's bedroom. Barbara reached out a clenched fist, knocking.

She stopped, waiting a few minutes before knocking again. "Lydia? Lydia?!" Nothing. "Ad?"

"Perhaps I could try?" he pondered out loud, after a little period of reflection.

"All right!" Barbara said, wishing him luck. Half of her was still worried for Lydia and she still hoped she was okay.

"Lydia? We've here to apologise to you, darling!" he shouted out loud, knocking on the door, perhaps even louder than Barbara had been doing. He turned to Barbara and shrugged his shoulders when another bout of eerie silence hit. Both ghosts turned and floated downstairs to the main floor, equally as concerned. Adam continued. "Perhaps she's downstairs?"

They went through every room on that floor as well; yet there was no sign of Lydia. Ending with the living room, they entered and peered behind the sofa after jumping over the area where they shamefully fell through before being welcomed by Delia. They froze in position when they heard the lock turn with the handle rotating very slowly. Almost imperceptibly.

Barbara glanced through the peep hole and saw Emily and Lawrence, who was cowering behind her like a kid caught in the act of stealing chocolate and forced to confess to their parents by an older sister. There was a third man, who wore khaki green pants with a white shirt and a brown cardigan, and had brown untidy hair that was almost to his shoulders. He appeared to be in his early 50s and had a big frame.

Adam and Barbara fled as fast as their legs could take them, bolted upstairs, and cowered in the attic, their talk with Lydia long forgotten. All three living people were carrying crucifixes as they arrived.

"Hello? Striped ghost woman? I've come to wrestle my daughter from your icy grip!" Emily remarked, her voice trembling. Lawrence grew startled when he heard a loud crash, throwing himself onto the black and white striped couch in the corner. Emily briefly glanced at the front door, then back at Lawrence. "It's fine, it was only the wind." 

The third guy, Dewey Finn, drew the smaller male into an embrace. "It's okay, it's fine. Shh. Dewey's here. Dewey's here!" he murmured as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Okay...?" Emily grew perplexed, watching Lawrence rely on his guru for comfort. Lawrence drew away from the hug, relaxing as he did so.

Lawrence frowned. "Childhood trauma is a pain in the neck."

"Can you tell me about your trauma?" Emily inquired, worried about her soon-to-be husband.

He groaned. "I'll tell you later, hon!"

"Okay." The three of them were brought back to action by another accident. "What happened to that darned exorcist?" Emily inquired, glancing out the window for any indications of their presence.

"A-about that. I cancelled the exorcist!" Lawrence remarked with a grin on his face.

"WHAT?!" Emily yelled at him.

"However," Lawrence continued. "I did manage to find someone better!"

Emily raised an eyebrow. "And who might it be?"

"Me!" Dewey triumphantly declared.

Emily took Lawrence aside, out of Dewey's hearing range. "Damn you, Lawrence, we're in the middle of a haunted home. Who knows what Lydia has been through just because of that damned ghost?"

He scowled. "I thought you'd be pleased with me for taking the initiative!"

"I am ecstatic," Emily spoke, her tone serious. "However..."