XXIX. Dinner

Saturday night arrived too quickly

Saturday night arrived too quickly. I was still struggling with the weight of my guilt. I had trouble even leaving my bedroom, much less making the drive out to Seattle for dinner.

As much as I didn't want to leave the house, I didn't want to let Renesmee down. She was still in La Push, and I was busy with school so I wasn't willing to turn down an opportunity to spend time with her.

My car was still in the shop so Alec and I borrowed Edward's silver Volvo. Edward was willing to let us use it because he was in the process of selling it, anyway; he had recently bought a new silver Volvo. Same car, newer model. I didn't ask why. I was past the point of questioning the strange things the Cullens did.

Alec kindly offered me the keys, but I refused. I wasn't ready to be behind the wheel yet. Just the thought made me queasy.

I wasn't entirely sure what to wear. It was Renesmee's idea to go to Seattle, and the restaurant was her pick, too. I was fine with it. I wasn't in the mood to make any decisions. Attempting to not overthink my wardrobe, I pulled on a dark grey turtleneck and a black pleated skirt. I chose to wear a pair of sturdy boots instead of my loafers. I was spending the evening with vampires and werewolves, after all. I had to be prepared to run for my life, if need be.

The drive to Seattle was much longer than I would've preferred to spend on the road, but Port Angeles was getting a little stale so I didn't complain. On the bright side, I had Alec all to myself. It felt so good to have some alone time together. We could slow down and enjoy each other's company instead of stressing out about how complicated our lives were.

I was a bit disappointed when we pulled up to the Italian restaurant shortly after seven. I wasn't ready to share Alec yet, but I reminded myself that he and I would have plenty of time for each other over the years. For a wild moment, I desperately desired to be one of his kind. I wanted to secure my future with him.

My brief and sudden flicker in my mood scared me. I didn't want to become one of the monsters that ruined my life, and yet I was so hungry for more time. I didn't have time to dwell on my mortality, however. I had to survive dinner first.

The statuesque hostess led Alec and me to a secluded table in the corner where Renesmee and Jacob were already seated. The warm, low lights made the large dining room feel cozy and there was plenty of space between us and the neighboring table, eliminating the risk of eavesdroppers.

"Hi!" Renesmee gushed as she stood and hugged me.

"Hey," I smiled. It was so good to see her; my mood improved significantly. "This is Alec," I said, gesturing to my date.

"We've met before," Jacob said cynically as we took our seats.

"It's good to see you again, too," Alec smiled grimly.

"Wish I could say the same," Jacob said sarcastically.

"Jacob. Come on. Be nice," Renesmee sighed. Her cheeks were bright from embarrassment.