18. Friends

I'd never been one to hold grudges or harbor nasty feelings like hatred, but last week's events might've changed that

I loathed those who badmouthed the girl I loved, couldn't stand her ex-boss, who fired her when a sensible manager would've used the attention she brought to the store to their advantage. Hell, the guys and I could've stopped by the bookstore and signed a couple of autographs. Of course, not anymore.

Ava mistook losing her job for a personal failure, and despite the pep talk I gave her while she was naked in my arms, the doubt was still there. She didn't know if she was good enough, which of course, she was. Believing that would take time, though. 

I strode into the reception area of Wyatt's office thinking about Ava and how I could help her, and a fresh wave of hatred washed over me at the sight of the culprit of Ava's disgrace.

Wyatt's niece sat behind her desk, leisurely rearranging papers. What the hell could I do? I wanted to make her pay for sending paps Ava's way, but I had zero proof she leaked the pictures. It was my word against hers again, and the smug smirk on her face told me she knew.

"Mr. Rogers is waiting," she said in a disgustingly sweet tone. 

"Your uncle," I said, heading for Wyatt's door. She let out something akin to a small gasp, but it was far from satisfying. Knowing they were related was just a piece of useless info. Technically, it wasn't illegal to hire a family member, especially for a position like hers where the person's credentials didn't play a huge role.

Lucky for me, Cay and Andre were with Wyatt. 

"Good afternoon," I said, closing the door behind me.

"Jim." Cay acknowledged me with a nod and a small smile. "We've been talking about the second album release dates."

"It's almost ready." I took a seat next to Andre.

"That's why we're thinking about two months from now," Cay said.

I exhaled. "That's reasonable."

Wyatt tapped his pen on the desk, studying me. "The video the band released was good promo material. Fire and Rain climbed to the first position in the local and international charts. Riveted is number two. Well done."

The desire to tell him we wouldn't have needed that video if his niece weren't a disgusting human being clawed at me. But then again, saying that would achieve nothing.

I listened to Cay's suggestions for the rest of the meeting and tried to focus on the positive side of things. We were popular not only in Europe but also in Asia, surreal as it was, which smelled of exciting possibilities. Even though we had to record more songs still, I could already make out the shape of our second album. 

"That didn't go badly," Andre said when we walked out of the business center. 

Cay rubbed his palms together and faced me. "I sense big things happening soon. By the way, Andre gave you the invitations, didn't he?"