25. While It Lasts

The heart-shaped pendant and thin golden chain were the only things Ava was wearing

The heart-shaped pendant and thin golden chain were the only things Ava was wearing. Despite the shower we took together, her skin was burning under my fingertips as I explored every inch.

I smoothed my thumb over her cheekbone and moved it down to her lips.

Ava trapped the pad between her teeth. The tip of her tongue darted out, and a groan escaped my mouth. "Are we starting things here?"

She tucked her head in the crook of my neck. "I'm just playing with you."

I kissed her hair and buried my fingers in the dark strands, embracing her. "I hope you liked your birthday."

"The best birthday ever," Ava mumbled. Her lips grazed my neck, sending a non-verbal Earth to Jim Junior.

I was fucked beyond repair, both figuratively and literally. 

"I feel like the birthday's mine," I said, my palm gliding over the curves of Ava's body. 

"I'll make yours special, too. Is there anything you'd like?"

I inched away so I could see her face. "Yeah. Spending it with you this year. Just the two of us."

"Did you use to celebrate with your friends?"

"With my family first, and with my bandmates and other friends later," I said, bringing Ava closer. She laid her head on my chest and draped a leg over mine. 

The mention of friends made me think of something I'd noticed. And something Jay told me. It probably wasn't my business, but I'd never seen him so distraught over a girl.

I cleared my throat. "Speaking of friends. Do you happen to know why Ivy turned Jay down?"

He asked Ava's friend to give him a chance, but Ivy said she wasn't into him. I had my doubts, and other things I'd noticed only fueled them. 

Ava kissed my chest. "I do. But I don't know if I should tell you." After a momentary pause, she sighed. "Of course, I want to tell you. I just need you to promise you won't tell Jay because I don't want to betray Ivy's trust."

"Not my place to tell. She's pregnant, isn't she?"

In one swift motion, Ava climbed on top of me and stared at my face.

I tilted my hips up. "Are you comfy, beautiful?"

"Very." She smirked, but worry flooded her features, replacing the playful expression she was sporting. "How did you know?"

"She gave Isla her drinks," I said, sliding an extra pillow under my head to have a better view of my gorgeous naked girlfriend. "And got pale when the yacht started to move. So, that thing with her boyfriend is really serious, then."

Ava chewed on her lip. "There's no boyfriend. She's doing it alone because the guy told her to get rid of the baby. They broke up."

"He asked her to get rid of someone he helped her make. Cause it takes two."