47. Plot Twist

My pregnancy was a plot twist, but so far, it was going well

My pregnancy was a plot twist, but so far, it was going well. I didn't feel too tired, probably because of the supplements I was taking, plenty of sleep, and the meals Jim made me eat. He cooked for me and made sure I didn't skip breakfast on the days I needed to be at the office early.

Although college worried me, I could take a semester off once the baby was born and increase the number of online classes. Talking to Virginia was on today's to-do list, but right now, I was curled on Jim's lap in his Audi, delaying the moment we'd say goodbye.

He had a show in another city tonight, and it'd be too late to drive back once it ended.

"I'll call you once I get there, okay?" Jim whispered, kissing my forehead.

"And call Brian too. I hope everything's okay."

Jim sighed. "Yeah, of course. I can't imagine what the two of them are going through."

Brian's girlfriend Leah was on bed rest. The same day they learned about her pregnancy, they had to rush to the hospital because she was bleeding. Although the baby was okay for now, the risk of miscarriage was there.

"I hope everything works out for them."

"Me too, baby."

He cupped my jaw and pressed his mouth to mine. The kiss was slow and full of longing. I knew Jim well enough to sense his guilt for leaving me, but he had his job, and I had mine. As much as I loved it when we spent time together, I didn't want him to stay glued to my side, neglecting his obligations.

I pecked his lips one more time. "I'll text you once I've talked to Virginia, okay?"

"I'll be waiting. Come on; let me walk you to the entrance."

I slid off Jim's lap so he could get out of the car. He walked me to the revolving door of the business center and kissed me again, ignoring the stares of some passersby who surely had recognized us.

"I love you," I said.

Jim smiled, running his thumb over my cheek. "Love you both."

He waited for me to enter the office center, and as I did, I crossed the lobby to take the elevator.

Leslie waved at me as soon as I stepped out of the steel box. "Hi there. Lots of work today?"

I undid the top two buttons on my black coat. "Yeah, why?"

"The Internet." She rolled her eyes. "Virginia almost lost her shit." Leslie lowered her voice and leaned forward so I'd hear her whispering better. "She had to do a video conference using her phone, and you know how much she hates small screens."

"But a guy was here fixing it a week ago."

Leslie shrugged. "Guess he had no clue what he was doing because the wifi problem's back. I called the company, and they'll send someone."