chapter 46: pathetic desires

The last two days have been the same. the same silent breakfasts,the same quiet house,the same message to let luciano know that someone has been trying to contact him,the same sad pit feeling in my stomach,the same sleepless nights and the same weight of her death.

I cut into my food as we all keep our heads down. "I'm having someone go through the camera footage today" dad's voice breaks the silence. "Okay good" Luciano nods, taking a sip of water.

The house seems colder,and the maya blue dining room walls seem paler. The moldings along the ceiling have lost all meaning. the paintings aren't as beautiful. everything is just off

"and the funeral is in two days" dad sips his coffee. The mafia doesn't do wakes. We believe that it's too negative and your final goodbyes are at a closed casket funeral. seeing someone you love in a preserved state is something that no one enjoys so we eliminated it.

we're all quiet as we need "luciano i need you in my office after breakfast" luciano nods.

...

luciano's pov:

I sit down on dominicos grey couch in front of his desk. "I'm going to get to the point." I nod "Where was your father? Why was Haylee in a crema house and not in milan?" my throat tightens there's no point in lying. she's dead luciano there's nothing to cover.

"my fathers an alcoholic." I feel anger in my body. "What do you mean?" Is he joking? I scoff at him "haven't you noticed? I mean you're the mafia boss of the most powerful mafia in Italy and you can't notice an alcoholic?" i raise my eyebrows at him.

"that's not answering my questions" i sigh "my mom had to leave. the abuse got too much" i squint my eyes as i speak and Dominico looks shocked.

"He put his hands on her?" someone's mad. "he beat the shit out of us and then would apologize" dominico looks at me angry "us?"

I lean back into the couch "her,me,lillian. that's why she left, lilian couldn't handle him- the abuse  anymore" rage is spread across dominicos face. "why didn't you say something?"

"because, my mother had her personal reasons, and personally i don't think you'd be willing to kill a friend" my father doesn't even know she's dead yet. no ones gotten a hold of him yet. I know where he is but I'm choosing not to go and find him so he can clean up for her funeral.

"friend? I met Lorenzo through your mother when they started dating. when i get my hands on that bastar-" i hold my hand up and Dominico stops talking at least i know where niki gets it from "your not going to touch him. my mother and i have a plan,she asked me to continue it"

dominico shuts his mouth "so she moved to the house in crema to get away from him?" i nod "yes" domnico sighs and drags his hand down his face "how could i have been so stupid and not notice, the signs are always there"

"don't kick yourself, he hides things well. The alcohol problem is harder than keeping our mouths shut '' I stare at the floor tapping my thumbs together. "but she didn't have any marks. how was he able to hide that?"

i'm silent for a moment to keep myself from lashing out "bruises are easy to cover up and heal, i stepped in before it got past that" my throat tightens

"lucian-" his phone rings and dominico looks at the screen before answering "brooks. you got anything for me?" oh thank god brooks is the best tech guy i'm glad he's working on the security camera footage.

"send me over the screen caps and their files immediately" he hangs up the phone and pulls out his laptop. "Luciano, go get the others, we'll finish this conversation later."