chapter 58: puzzle pieces

"oh my god" i speak under my breath 

my throat gets dry

"I just arrived and assumed your dad would be awake, he's not." the  smallest french accent slips on the word 'assumed'

"yes, as of now I'm just working in the cocaine wearhouse by the airport." I nod "I thought the cocaine wearhouse was on the boat port?" jason shakes his head "we uh changed it recently,practical reasons"

"I thought we moved the Sanchez business by the airport?" Stefano shakes his head "no, not sure who told you that"

"It's Sanchez's business. I was told I would be a yellow folder. First one of the group''

"What do the different color folders mean?" i tilt my head "red is our members, yellow is gangs and other mafias, green is weapons, and blue is our business' like sanchez"

i hold out the file "what is it" he takes the file from me "no clue maria just needed it"

"i had a folder on the french mafia and i can't find it, i put it in my desk a few weeks ago but it's gone now"

looking in the hall, jason has his head peeked through the third door "what are you doing" his head snaps "um" he shuts the door "you shouldn't be down here."

"i grew up speaking french canadian that tends to happen" i laugh a little "pour un canadien français tu parles assez bien le français moderne"  (for a french canadian you speak modern french quite well)

"You have an African last name,you're a newbie,and you're white."

"Are you not sweating in that turtle neck?" he smiles as he takes another kilo out. "no i'm just really cold all the time"

"I was wondering if you have seen Jason anywhere"  I look around the room and spot him up on the second floor "He's up there" i point. "no,that's not jason. I'll find him at some point."

Some people get it in more obvious spots like their faces or arms. necks." she pauses staring at me

"Just ask Matisse," she smiles. "ask who?" she laughs "that's something i can't answer"

holy shit. my heart begins to pound as the pieces fall into place. He's the rat that Rose was so sure about.

she covered it up so i'd go to the path that i think she was lying.

all the signs that were there
all the stutters
all the accent slips
all of it was right in front of me

"blade" I look over at him "give me your knife" i whisper at him and hold my hand out "what are you going to do with it?" he keeps his voice as low as mine.

I look at Jason whose tattoo is still exposed and when I feel the cold metal hit my hand I push out my seat and stand.

I hear Hazel whisper to me but I ignore her. I walk as calmly as possible through the crowd of people standing. As I brush past each one I can feel a new person stare at me.

I can hear my heart pound in my ears as I reach the side Jason is on. He's a rat and Celia knows. That's what she was trying to tell me last night. Is his name matisse?

I stand behind a few people that are closest to him. I step in front of one and slip the knife into a firmer grip. I pause and wait a moment before stepping in front of the next person closest to him.

he's a rat

I take a deep breath and step infront of the next person. two more to go. I slip the sleeve off of the knife and place it in my pants pocket.