Chapter 18

A smile instantly came on my face. It was John's Mum. A level of unease came over me as I realised how her eyes were red and puffy. 

'Hello, Tanya. Are you okay?' I asked.

She nodded her head adamantly as if she was trying to convince herself she was. 

'I just wanted to see you. It's been such a long time.' Tanya walked forwards and hugged me. It was a little awkward since I was still sat on the bed but it felt nice to be close to her. She was a brilliant woman.

She kissed the top of my head then looked at John. 'You take care of her, young man.' Tanya walked to the door and briefly turned round to smile at me. 'Come visit me sometime, sweetheart.'

I nodded. 'Of course.' I wanted to say more and ask her what was wrong but I didn't want to intrude. Suddenly a loud noise rattled me as a door was slammed shut. 

Tanya shook her head irritably. 'That brother of yours has no respect!' Still mumbling to herself, she shut the door and left.

My phone began to vibrate and John reached out to get it from the table beside him.

'Who is it?' I asked.

John's face frowned and then he went still. 'It's Quinn.'

I looked at John, trying to decipher any emotions but his eyes were cast down, staring at the phone and none of his features were giving any tell tale signs as to what he was thinking.

'John,' I said quietly.

His eyes looked into mine. 'You said there was some one else. You didn't mean Quinn did you?'

Something clicked inside me. After everything that had happened he would really come to that conclusion? 'No.'

He tiled his head slightly as if the tables had turned and now I was the one being examined. 'No? How come he's calling you? Is he still trying it on with you?'

A sense of relief went through me. He didn't suspect me of being with Quinn. 'We're friends again. We sorted things out.'

John's eyebrows shot up and for a second I thought he was going to say something like, 'Oh my God'. 

'What?'

'He didn't mention that to me. Why did you forgive him?'

I shrugged. It was difficult to explain out loud. In my head it made a lot more sense. 'I guess we came to an understanding.'

'What kind of understanding?' He asked.

I bit my lip as anxiety filled my stomach. I didn't want to increase the tension between them but it was probably better if John knew about the true motivation of Quinn's actions. 'Quinn's in love with me.'

It came out quick and jumbled that I only just realised that I didn't quite register the fact. I didn't truly contemplate what Quinn was telling me. Quinn just wasn't the falling in love type and I certainly wasn't his type.

'What. Yeah, right. He doesn't know the meaning of love. Non committed sex is his job. It's who he is. Quinn falling in love is like saying that Lil Wayne is better 2Pac. It's never going to happen.'

'That's a little harsh. Quinn isn't some emotionless machine.' I felt like I had to defend Quinn even if John didn't mean to insult him.

'Penelope, he's a dick. The guy's got no heart.'

'You're the cold one not him,' I snapped. 

Instantly I regretted it. It was an unspoken fact between us that John was cold. He was not the emotional type. He just didn't know how to be warm and affectionate and I knew he hated that.