Chapter 19

After Jarrod left I rang Quinn. He picked up almost immediately.

'Hey, you rang. Thought I'd see what was up'

'Yeah, just wondered if you wanted to hang out.'

I looked at the clock in the living room. 10pm. 'You know what, I could do with some company after the day I've had. Come round now.'

'Brilliant,' he replied. 'On my way. Bye.'

As I waited for Quinn's arrival I snacked but he didn't take long since he drove and didn't live far.

'Alright, Princess.' Quinn gave me his typical greeting as he came in. 'It's quiet. Is your Mum not home.' 

I shook my head. 'She's out at the new Italian with her friends.'

'Sounds like your Mum has a better social life than either of us.'

Laughing, I threw a cushion off the sofa in his face as I sat down.

'Oi!'

'So. How's life?' I glanced at Quinn as I waited for his answer.

'What's wrong? You seem sad.'

'I'm not sad.'

'Yes, you are,' he interjected. 'I can tell when you are.'

His response made me remember how he felt for me and then what John said about him.

'Quinn, have you ever fallen in love before?'

He looked at me with confusion. 'You mean other than you?'

'Yeah.'

Quinn looked at me for a few seconds then shook his head. 'Never.'

'When I told John we were friends again he said he you don't know the meaning of love.'

'And do you think the same?' He asked quietly. 

This time I stared at him. 'Not anymore.'

He smiled. 'I appreciate your honesty, Penelope. But I hope you know that I don't love you because you're beautiful. It's so much more than that. It's who you are, P. Your kindness, compassion, blond moments and your frustrating ability to forgive.'

Oh, God. Quinn deserved so much more. 'I'm really not that great.'

'I know I shouldn't have done it but when I kissed you it was amazing. Even if it wasn't a real kiss. Best I've ever had.'

My eyebrows shot up. Quinn had kissed a lot of girls and rated me at the top? It made me feel guilty because that was nowhere near a real kiss. 

I leaned forward. 'We're still only friends but... you can kiss me if you like.'

Quinn inched closer. 'You feel sorry for me, don't you? That's all it is. But you know what. I don't care. I'll take what I can get.' He paused and searched my face as he put his hand on my cheek. 'Are you sure?'

'Yeah, I am.'

I was surprised by how gentle he was and the softness of his lips. I imagined him to be a little rough; lacking in intimacy and warmth but it was the absolute opposite. There was something sensual about how he prolonged it. I felt dizzy as he slowly picked up the pace and after a few moments I pulled back slightly. Quinn stopped but kept his forehead against mine as he stroked my lips. 

'Thank you,' he breathed. 'That was... something else entirely.'

 'I didn't make it worse, did I?'

'No. Something to dream about,' he laughed. Quinn looked at me as I moved away. 'I guess I should go.'

'No,' I interjected. 'Like said I could do with some company.'

Quinn grinned. 'Sure.'

I sighed as we both talked like nothing happened. But it was there. I could see it on his face. He looked sad and every now and then his eyes would fleet towards my lips. Maybe Quinn would have been better off if he stuck to his no love policy. Maybe I would have been too.