Chapter 9

I looked up as I saw a car slow down beside me. I flinched. I didn't recognise the car. I walked faster, attempting to make it inconspicuous. 

'Penelope! Is that you?'

I swivelled round, thinking it was John. I think disappointment was written all over my face because Jarrod's face dropped a little.

'Expecting someone else?' He asked hesitantly.

I stared at him. Why was he here? His head was sticking out the window even though it was still raining. Suddenly I realised that I was soaking wet. I'd have to have a shower when I get home and put all my clothes in the wash otherwise I'd end up smelling like damp. I hope the water was already warm. I didn't want to wait.

'Bye, Jarrod,' I said and began to walk away. 

I heard his car inch forward, the lights shining like a beacon. 

'Penelope, it's pouring out there.'

'I know,' I replied.

'So get in the car I'll give you a lift.' 

'No, I'm fine. Thanks though.'

Suddenly he stopped and got out of the car but I carried on walking. I felt his hand rest on my shoulder as he forcefully turned me around. I stood face to face him with him. Jarrod's eyes roamed my face.

'Have you been crying?' He asked.

I didn't reply. I don't know how long I'd been crying. My face must be red and puffy.

'You'll get a cold, you know. Let me give you a lift. I don't mind,' he carried on insisting even though I repeatedly turned him down. Eventually though I gave in; I didn't have the energy to keep going back and forth with him. 

As I buckled in my belt, the warmth of the car made me realise how cold I was, so cold I was verging on numb. 

Silently, Jarrod increased the heat and a gust of air hit me in the face.

'Sorry,' Jarrod mumbled. 'It's a bit strong at first.'

I didn't say anything. The heat felt nice but it made me more aware of how bad I smelled. I hate the smell of wet clothes. I leaned forward and sniffed John's jacket. 

'Probably just the smell of damp. Don't worry I can take it.' He laughed lightly but then stopped abruptly and an awkwardness settled in the air. 

I didn't say that it was the smell of damp I was looking for but John's smell. Though the smell of damp was overpowering, John's scent was still perceptible. Maybe I'll just put it on the heating instead of the wash. 

It didn't feel like I only saw Jarrod a couple of hours earlier. Suddenly it seemed like the day hadn't happened at all. Like it was all a dream or a distant memory from another year. But it did happen. That's why I'm sat here, soaking wet and stinking of damp, in the car of a guy I barely even know.

'End of the road,' Jarrod spoke loudly as if we were in a crowded room and he was trying to get my attention.

I looked up at my house; a three bedroom detached with a small garden and driveway at the front. It was one of those new houses built in the boom days. All the lights were off and the curtains open. It looked dark and eerie. Uninviting. I didn't want to go in. I wanted to sit right here and go to sleep.

'Penelope?' Jarrod asked quietly.

I looked at him, almost dazed. I forgot he was here. 'Yes?' I muttered.

'You've been sat here for ten minutes and you haven't said a word.'

I felt my eyebrows shoot up. Ten minutes? It couldn't have been. We only just got here. 'Oh,' I said stupidly. 

Jarrod laughed. A real one. 'What goes on in that head of yours, Penelope?'

'Thank you for the lift. Sorry for being so weird, Jarrod.' I rushed out of the car before he could reply.

I unlocked the door and ran inside to my bedroom, and threw myself on to my bed. I clutched my pillow tightly and stared into the darkness. 

There was a knock on my bedroom door. I stared at it, wordlessly, wondering who it was. Mum definitely wouldn't be here yet. Another knock followed and a voice calling my name.

'Jarrod?' I called.

'Yeah, it's me. Can I come in?' 

I paused for a moment before getting up and opening the door. 

'Sorry, I followed you. It's just, you seemed so upset.'

Like a sudden and spontaneous eruption, I exploded. My vision blurred and my body quivered uncontrollably as I sobbed like a helpless child. 

'Oh my God. Penelope, what happened?' Jarrod put his arm round me and for some reason that helped me calm down. He was like a quiet sea that had a calming effect on me. Pure warmth and tranquility. I looked up at him, unable to ignore the intense concern in his gaze.

'I'm sorry,' I mumbled. 'I'm a right mess, aren't I?'

He smiled. 'No, you're not. Trust me.' He stared at me, still smiling.

I smiled back and took a step away from him. 'I need to get changed. I grabbed the clothes I was wearing this morning and ran into my bathroom without another word. 

I pressed my ear against the door, wondering what he was going to do. Was he going to leave or stay? What am I doing? I moved away from the door and quickly changed. Whether he stayed or not didn't really bother me. 

I opened the door expecting nobody to be there but I was startled to find Jarrod still stood there awkwardly and with a goofy smile. 

'Hi,' he said.

'Hi,' I replied. 

'So...' Jarrod began but almost immediately broke off.

'Do you want some hot chocolate?' I bit my lip. Why did I ask that? 

He looked startled and took a moment to respond. 'Actually, yeah, I would.'

We both sat side by side on the sofa. I clutched the mug of hot chocolate as if it was a lifeline. I didn't understand why but the feeling of unease was dominant in my stomach and I could stop tapping my foot. 

Jarrod faced me and after a moment I did the same. We were even closer now. 

He bought his face closer to mine. 'You seemed happy at the fair. Now it looks like someone opened Pandora's box and you're the first victim.'

I dropped my gaze. I didn't want to talk about today. Thinking about it was hard enough.

'I'm not asking you to tell me what happened,' he continued. 'But I'm telling you that I'm here for you.'

I was astonished at the statement. Is he there for me? He doesn't even know me. Quinn and Steph, my own friends stabbed me in the back and my boyfriend has no faith in me.

'You don't know me,' I stated.

He sighed, almost in a forlorn way and put his hand on my face, his thumb grazing my skin. 'But I'd like to,' he said softly.

I swallowed. I didn't say anything because all I could do was wonder why, whenever Jarrod touched me he left a trail of fire.