7

(Daryl's pov)

"Mother," Oliver called out, poking his head inside of Arabella's office from behind the old mahogany door.

"Hello Oliver," I said from behind Arabella's desk.

"Oh hello, Daryl," he shyly said.

"Your mother isn't here, as you can see," I said with a smile.

"Where is she?"

"She went with Michael on a business trip,"

"Then why are you in here?" Oliver asked.

"I'm having to temporarily use her office as mine."

"How come?"

"My office is having to be renovated. Mainly, the floor is having to be replaced. As you know, this castle is very old."

"Oh," Oliver said as the room fell into an awkward silence

"I'm actually glad you came. I wanted to talk with you," I said as Oliver just stood there looking at me.

"You can sit down, you know."

Oliver nodded his head and walked over to a chair, taking a seat.

"What did you want to talk about?" Oliver asked.

"How are you adjusting to, well, to everything?"

"I guess, ok, it's just weird being home after all these years." Oliver answered honestly.

"That's understandable," I said.

"Look, I know I'm not your father, but if there's anything you want to talk about, I'm here for you."

"Thank you," he said.

"Is this all you wanted to talk about?"

"Actually, no it's not. I told your mother that I'd talk to you about the time you spent with the hunters," I said, as I carefully watched Oliver's reaction.

Oliver gave me a confused look, seeming not to know exactly what I was talking about.

"But I wasn't with the hunter's," he said, as now it was my turn to be confused.

"Then who were you with?"

"I really shouldn't say."

"And why is that?" I asked, taking note of how stand offish he was now compared to earlier.

"I don't want to get in trouble."

"You're not going to be in trouble, I promise."

"But he'll get mad at me," Oliver said.

"Who are you talking about, Oliver?" I asked.

"M-My father."

I couldn't even imagine what kind of expression my face was wearing right now. Part of me felt like I had heard him wrong, but I know I hadn't.

"Your father?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I see," I said, writing down what he told me.

I was at a loss for words right now. I wanted to believe Oliver, I really did, but I knew for a fact that his father was dead. I had witnessed his death with my own eyes.

"Is there anything else you would like to tell me?" I asked

"Do I h-have to?"

"Only if you feel comfortable," I said. Oliver nodded as he looked down at the floor, playing with his fingers as he contemplated my words.