Chapter 20: The Smile's Explanation

Fairest portrait in the hall was moved
down with cobwebs, to spider's homes.
For, as he says, it belongs down there,
as to no one did need of it roam...

. . . . .

I was in the cellar, sitting on a box, looking at my mother's painting.

I'd memorized it long ago, when it still resided in the Hall of History, but it seemed a comfort to me to come and visit it. Especially now. The castle was bustling with preparations for the trip to Vereniva, which was a week and a half away, and the halls were chaotic. In my room I could get no rest, and I'd already roamed the winding third floor for too long. There it was quiet, but also very, very dark. So the cellar was the perfect place.

And there was something more. Ever since I'd heard the stories about my parents, I'd been imagining my mother and how I knew she'd looked. I'd come to refresh my memory, but it was calming to look into Giovanna's eyes. When I was small, I'd thought she had a smile that wasn't quite genuine, and now I knew why. But her eyes seemed to speak just as much. They were hazel, but somehow reflected mine anyway, maybe in the way the artist had captured the shape and the glitter on them. Now I only wondered what had happened to my father's painting. Hadn't he had one done?

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Geraint popped through the cellar door.

"Ise!" he said. "There you are. I was looking for you everywhere. What on earth are you doing in here?"

"Nothing much. I just got tired of roaming the halls and trying to show you around."

"Well, it's not my fault," said Geraint, laughing. "It's whoever built this maze-like castle's fault."

I'd tried to show Geraint around the third floor in my wanderings, since he had to follow me around anyway, but he simply couldn't grasp its concept. I'd even made a map, but he mixed up all the rooms and couldn't find his way.

Now, Geraint looked at the painting at my feet.

"Who..." he began, then decided he knew. "Is that Giovanna? Your mother?"

"Yeah," was all I said.

"It's pretty," he said. "She's pretty." But for the strangest reason, I caught him looking at me, for a moment.

"It used to be in the Hall of History," I said. "But Collum took down all the paintings and put them in here. To keep dust off, he said, but it's no better in this grime." I paused for a moment. "I used to go in there every day, and spend hours looking at each painting. I memorized them all. I memorized each name, each shade, and each brush stroke."

Geraint smiled, but it reflected sadness.

It came as a shock to me when Eldon suddenly came through the cellar door. He wasn't happy, since he hadn't been chosen to go to Vereniva.

He was clearly looking for me.

"Princess Eloise," he said. "His Majesty King Collum wishes to speak to you in his study."

I blinked. And then blinked again.

"Al... alright," I said.

I stole a glance at Geraint. Somehow, he didn't seem surprised. Maybe he didn't understand that this had never happened before.

Eldon turned as if to go.

"Wait. Eldon, do you know why he needs me?"

"No, Your Highness." And he left.

Collum had never needed me in his study before.

I hiked up the cracked stone stairs up to the second floor. The king's study was next to the Hall of History, but I had never been in this room. Collum used it often, but spent more time in the Great Hall, though it seemed much less comfortable.

Geraint stood outside when I went in.

The back wall was lined with books, and a large oak desk sat in the middle of the room, behind which sat Collum on a matching oak chair.

"Princess Eloise," said the so-called king. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I said.

"I have something to discuss with you," said Collum. "Or rather, to inform you. It does not have to be discussed. It is decided." He paused. "You are going to Vereniva this year."

I was frozen with shock.

"I have thought it through," he continued. "What with these growing threats, and especially after the ordeal with Alastair, I think it best for you to stay with me. I informed your personal guard of this, and he agreed. He is, of course, coming with you."

I raised my eyebrows. Of course. Geraint had known all along. Yet for some reason, he hadn't told me.

"Very well," I said. "What should I pack?"

"Nothing. I will have Nicole pack for you."

He was finished speaking.

I turned to go.

"Your Highness," he added. "Thank you for sharing your concern for your safety with me. This way, I am able to assure your protection." He was smiling.

"Of course," I said, and left. Geraint was outside, and I motioned for him to follow me to my room.

"You didn't tell me," I said once we were inside.

He was beaming. "I wanted it to be a surprise. I mean, it really is a fantastic place. And we'll be able to get tons of information from the servants there. They're really friendly."

"Alright, I can see that," I said. I guess it didn't matter that he hadn't told me. And it was quite a surprise, and I found myself thinking it a pleasant one.

"And I'm really happy with Collum's decision," Geraint continued. "This means that he bought that you really feel insecure. He did it to encourage your feeling so, I'm sure, because he didn't try to tell you there wasn't a threat, did he? And the best part is, he doesn't actually know of any threat at all except for Alastair... which was a red herring!"

He really was happy with the turn of events, I thought.

"You're right, this is fantastic," I said, smiling too.