Grey Dragons - Chapter 6: Meaning Sunlight

February 15, 773

(18 years ago)

.. .. ..

"Can we go yet, Papa?" asked Geraint.

Broderick laughed. "Give your mama a minute. She doesn't want to catch cold, not with the baby coming so soon."

"Alright, we can go now," said Mae, coming down the creaking wooden stairs with an extra wrap.

Geraint expressed his joy by barreling out of the house without a second glance, and he ran ahead of his parents and out into the street. He sprinted a block before he came darting back.

"Hurry, Mama!" he exclaimed to his poor mother, who was eight months pregnant and moving slowly.

"I'm on my way," she said, laughing. Then she said in a quieter tone to her husband, "He should be glad we're going at all. I'd like to go straight to bed and stay out of the cold."

"But Mama!" said the five year old. "We'll miss all the festives!"

"Festivities, Geraint," corrected Broderick. "Now, don't you worry. We won't miss a thing. Here," he took a small copper coin from his coat pocket and handed it to his restless son. "Go on and buy yourself a cake. Only, stay in sight."

Geraint's little face lit up at the thought of a fresh and festive cake from the market, which was lit up like a glowing lantern for the celebrations. He ran off to find one.

"Overton!" he shouted to his young friend, who stood bouncing across the street next to his parents. "Look what Papa gave me!" He held up the copper coin so that it glinted in the light.

Overton hurried over and demanded to see it. "It's so pretty!"

"Papa said it's what you buy things with," said Geraint proudly. "And he said to buy cake."

Overton looked devastated. "I want cake, too," he said.

"Maybe there'll be some for you," said Geraint doubtfully. "But I'm gonna get one for the baby."

"What baby?" wondered Overton.

Geraint shrugged, puzzled. "It's what Mama said. A baby's coming. But I haven't seen it. Only Mama's great big belly!"

"It'll be just like the baby princess." said Overton, matter-of-factly.

Geraint grinned from ear to ear. "Yup! They'll be very best friends."

Overton's eyes widened and he shook his head. "The baby can't be very best friends with the princess."

"Why not?" asked Geraint.

"I don't know," said Overton. "But that's what my ma said. It's 'cause the princess has a crown, and we don't."

"A golden crown? On top of her head?" wondered Geraint in awe.

"Oh, dear, I hope not," laughed Broderick, having come over to listen to the innocent chatter. "She might still be a little small for a crown."

Overton crinkled his eyebrows. "So why can't we be friends with her?"

"Because she lives in the castle," said Broderick. "And we live in the village. She's a princess, and you're not a prince. But Geraint, you've forgotten to get your cake."

"Oh!" Geraint's eyes widened and he scurried off to purchase his pastry.

The world around him was a wave of gaiety. Music flooded from every side and celebratory laughter was heard in every ear. A bonfire was lit in the middle of the square, throwing light on every cobblestone and every face. It warmed the air and melted the winter frost on the windows.