Levitate

Chapter 3 - Levitate

"Da stop!" I scream as he knifes her.

She gasps in shock and pain. She leans up agaisnt the wall. She slides down. There's blood on the wall. He looks at me. As if he's seeing me for the first time.

"You! If I didn't have an extra mouth to feed then we wouldn't be in this mess!"

He walks toward me. Blood dripping from his knife.

"No! Scarlett run!"

Gulping I run. Run up to the closet in the hallway on the landing where I hid nearly every night until Ma came and found me. Sometimes it would be Da and I would get beaten. But usually when Da came to beat me he was drunk. He wouldn't remember if he was sober. And he looked pretty sober when he knifed Ma. I steady my breathing, hoping he'll never find me. His footsteps are load as he races up the stairs to find me. They keeping going.. Past the closet. His footsteps fade into a room. I want to breath a sigh of relief that he hasn't found me yet, but I'm not safe yet. After Da lost his job I never was.

Then footsteps again. They stop, right outside the closet. Now I know how it feels to be in a horror movie. The doors are flung open. I gulp and say nothing. Just stare into the eyes of a souless monster glaring down at me. He had my Da's green eyes, skin tone and height. Even his brown hair. But he's not my Da anymore. He reaches in and grabs my wrists.

"No!" I scream.

"SCARLETT!"

I open my eyes, waking up with tears in my eyes, a cold sweat and my scars burning. Jay's sitting beside me. Holding my arms to my side. His black hair even messier than usual. He's wearing a grey top with blue stripped pj bottoms.

"Are you alright?"

I can't breathe.

"Scarlett" Willow yells and rushes toward me from the doorway.

She sits beside me and starts stroking her hand threw my hair. Its oddly calming. I start breathing and slowly I relax.

"How..?" Jay asks Willow.

"Ma used to..." She whispers.

Her worried eyes still on me.

"I got this Jay"

He nods and gets off the bed. He walks out the room muttering "that damn letter"

Willow climbs up on the bed and gets into the bed beside me. She holds me tight and hums a light tune. It doesn't take me long to realise its Hollywood Undead's song Levitate.

"What did you dream about Scar?" She asks when she stops.

"Nothin" I whisper.

"Nothing doesn't scare you sensless, that your crying, screaming and kicking in your sleep"

I sigh.

"It... It was just a nightmare... A horrible nightmare"

Their's a small silence. She strokes my hair and starts humming again. Properbly thinking of what to say.

"You know that if you talk about it... It's a lot easier to deal with"

I scoff. How could my nightmares or flashes of what I've been threw ever be easier to deal with?

"Was it about your Da?" She asks quietly as she stops humming in the middle of the song.

I don't answer her. She must be catching on.

"Scarlett you need to turn your back on the painfull memories..."

"Like you did?" I ask angrly.

How dare she come interfering in my life. Who does she think she is? Sure she can't talk about leaving painful memories behind. She didn't for ten years! And she has the cheek to say that to me.

"You havnt been through what I've been through Scarlett, you have no idea how hard it was! Where you beat, starved or watch your family die before your eyes in a small attic?" Her tone scaring me.

She gets up and out of the bed and stands infront of me. Her electric blue eyes cold with an angry fire blazing behind them.

"Did you Scarlett? Did you suddenly have everything and have it taken from you? By someone who should have cared? By someone that was meant to look after you? To love you? Well?" She yells.

Her eyes flaming and filling with angry tears. I just stare at her. Her anger not surprising me. I've seen enough people with bad tempers. I shake my head. She stomps out of my room and down the hall.

"Out of my way!" She suddenly yells.

A door slams shut and theirs feet on the wooden hallway floor. The feet stop outside my door. He leans agaisnt the door frame and folds his arms. He sighs.

"She was only half right" I whisper before wrapping myself in the covers.

I close my eyes and feel the sharp prick of tears.

"She's not angry with you Scar... She's angry with herself... She thinks she could have helped them... She's angry at Grandma..."

"I know Jay" I say.

There's a silence before he suddenly breaks it.

"Goodnight Scar... Try not to think of it"

"It's hard nah tah... Buh night Jay"

He walks in and gives me an awkward patt and walks out again. Poor guy. He doesn't deserve to be caught in the middle. I yawn and go back to sleep. Praying to god that I don't have to see my fathers face again. Once was enough for one night.