Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13. Lights Out.

"Turn dah tin off, ya'll get us caught!" I whisper angrily.

"I'm coming with you"

"Ya're nah comin wit me! Go back ta ya're care home Marcus!"

"Scarlett you can't go, you don't even know where your going!"

"I do! Wah's it ta ya?"

"I don't want to be here anymore"

"Running away is never dah answer, trust me I know, it only dalays dee problem or makes it worse"

He shrugs.

"Turn off dah light! Lights out!"

He turns off the torch.

"Did you bring a torch? No. Do you know your way around these feilds? No."

"I know enough"

"You know the bus station is another two feilds after this one right?"

I stop and stomp my foot on the ground.

"Its six miles per field"

"Which means it'll take me all night ta get me der on foot... How'd ya no I was goin ta dee bus station?"

"Its the first place anyone who's running away would go. Do you think your the first person to run away from this place? Think again.. Plus I heard you on the phone earlier"

"So ya know"

"Only Willow got kidnapped.. Is she your foster sister?"

"Yeah.. Willow Carroll"

"Your going after her?"

"Yeah.. Me and two others"

"Cary and.."

"Wow ya're nosy"

"I was just hanging around.. I was going to talk to you, ask if you wanted to tag along tonight seeing as I was leaving"

He knows the plan. I repeated it to Cary down the phone.

"Who else knows?"

"Nobody, just me. I didn't tell a soul"

"Looks like I don't have a choice, I don't bring ya, ya'll rat me out"

"I wouldn't.. The fields would and the guy that works at the bus station.. That is unless you pay him off"

I sigh.

"Come on, we've a lot of ground"

I start walking on ahead. He manages to walk beside me.

"Why'd ya want ta run away?" I ask.

"I'm sick of it here. I never want to be in a care home. I want to be with my family"

"But they don't want you?"

"No.. Nobody does"

I sigh.

"At least ya're weren't like mine" I mutter.

"What kind of parents hate their own children and not want them or even love them"

"Dah same people dah made me Marcus.. Buh I bet ya've got good meomeries of dem"

Least his earilest meomery isn't of watching your own mother being stabbed by your own father and then running as he tries going for you and then the next day you wake up at the bottom of the stairs with cuts that'll never heal. Cut's that'll turn into scars and be reminders of the life you've had. That no amount of running away from will get you rid of your past.