53 ◈ Systematic

Felix slipped down the long corridor of the vampire dorm building, headed directly towards his assigned room at a brisk pace. He glanced over his shoulder, again. Checking behind him every few moments to ensure the shadows melted in the same way they promised to when he turned his head away. By his sides, his hands trembled and clenched. Balling into fists, spreading into wide fingers splayed as if he was planning to jam a knife blade between the digits for a bet, then tightening into those fists once again. His demeanor seemed fevered. Clammy, anxious, his swaying steps mimicked a patient bordering on mental breakdown.

Seungmin jogged down the corridor of the vampire dorms, the usual person in a sluggish tow behind him. Between the grunts and protesting groans of Hyunjin, the human managed to call barely before he slipped away, "Felix, wait."

Felix jolted. He murmured under his breath for a moment, eyes squeezing shut tightly as a balled-up first rested on the doorknob he was attempting to escape through. As they approached him, halting as soon as they were within range of hearing what other mutters and whispers he kept underneath his tongue, Felix shifted on his heel to face them. Only once the sound of their shoes thumping on the carpet stopped, then did he allow his eyelids to fall open. He peered at them.

His skin paled.

As if he had been looking at a walking, breathing, rotting corpse come to knock on his door.

As if he received news that the sky was falling in on itself, and all he could do was stare up at the clouds, at the blue puzzle crumbling to pieces before his eyes.

As if he was looking at the end of the world itself.

The end of his world. With red eyes and sharp  fangs which turned anyone's skin the same ghostly hue Felix faded into. He concealed it well enough; His gaze kept steadily trained on the pair, his hands focused to iron out the gentle shakes and rattles which scurried for a place to hide, eventually coming to tremble his gradual breaths in, gradual breaths out, again, his huffs evening out into a flat consistency. It was enough to convince any onlookers and eavesdropping thieves who might've been hiding around the hallway corners. Enough to convince any human or vampire alike. He managed to keep himself calm in the face of what lurked in the shadows, long enough to convince anyone who wasn't painfully aware of how a heartbeat should tap.

From behind Seungmin, Hyunjin smiled at him.

Felix scanned them both a few times, glancing up and down at the unusual pair as he backed himself into the doorjamb, "Can I help you?"

"Would you mind if I ask you a few questions? You seem to be the only one around here who might be able to give us a straightforward and honest answer," Seungmin intruded as he cocked a hip, setting a graceful hand on the relaxed but lopsided posture. Though he couldn't see his expression from the angle he kept behind the human, Hyunjin could hear the diplomatic smile in Seungmin's voice as he lured the other with the same grace as the pulling sirens which drew sailors out to sea, speaking firm but quietly, "Frankly, I don't trust Jisung anymore. I want to know if you can confirm my suspicions of him."

Felix countered, "I don't really know you?"

"Then, you'll find there's no consequence in telling me," Seungmin finished.

The vampire tightened his grip on the doorknob. He shifted his weight again, his chin dipping down to the depths of the carpeted floors as he seemed to think for a moment. Eyebrows furrowing, the corner of his lips frowning, his cheeks draining even further of his rosy hue, anyone would think that he was the one who's been bitten and attacked if they saw how quickly he lost the shades of his courage.

Behind Seungmin, Hyunjin shoved a hand into the pocket of his uniform trousers, the other hanging limply by his side. He fiddled with his fingers, moving them into fists. Unfolding two, then one. Idly playing with the way his joints bend and move while the two talked.