Prologue

Prologue

Four years ago 

"Jade, Juliette, aren't you girls ready yet? We're hosting the party. We should go there early," said Jaden Meyers to his two sisters, Juliette Meyers who was a year older than him and Jade Meyers who was only sixteen. It was his 21 st birthday and he had invited all his friends to his old classmate Dustin Moore's restaurant and bar to celebrate. 

"We're ready, let's go," said Juliette and Jade, walking towards the main door. 

"Dad, we're leaving," shouted Juliette from the door.

"Enjoy but not too much drinking. And you know what time to return home," said their dad. "Take care of Jade, please," said Christopher Meyers, their dad, who had retired as a lawyer, handing his law firm to his oldest son, Jayson Meyers. Jayson was away on a case and couldn't attend the birthday celebrations.  

They trooped out to Jaden's RAM 2500 and climbed in. They soon were on their way to the venue. 

"Just how many friends did you invite, Jady?" Asked Juliette.

"Around 25, but please don't call me that in front of everyone," he said, glaring at Juliette. 

"Why am I even going?" Said Juliette, rolling her eyes.

"Please Jules, don't be a spoilsport," grumbled Jaden as he parked the truck in the parking lot of Dustin's restaurant. 

It was a picture perfect little restaurant painted in white, with it's glass doors and windows. Two white lanterns hung on either side of the white panelled glass door. Jade liked the simple beauty of the place. She hated loud, harsh and extravagantly decorated bars and restaurants but this one stood out in its simplicity. 

She picked a small pink buttercup from a flower pot near the door and followed the others inside. She fixed the flower to her long cascading golden locks that reached to her waist. The interiors had been tastefully decorated with white chairs and tables. Each table had a small vase of buttercups, hydrangeas and roses. There was a big birthday banner put up for Jaden. He didn't want any more birthday decorations. 

She bumped into someone while staring at the decorations. "Oops sorry," she said, looking at whom she bumped into.

He stared at her without a blink and stood there just holding her waist lightly, to stop her stumble. His dark chocolate brown piercing eyes, his sharp chiseled jawline, unshaven stubble, and short chocolate brown hair made him look very gorgeous. She could feel his muscles where her hand touched his arm to arrest her fall. 

"I I'm sorry, I didn't s see yyou," she stammered again but he kept on staring, as if in a trance. Her cheeks coloured and she released her hold on him. 

"Oh, there you are," said Jaden. "Oh, you two have met already? Still, Jade, meet Dustin Moore, the owner of this place," he introduced. "Dustin, this is Jade,  my little sister. She just turned 16."

Dustin's hand left her waist. He gave her a small nod in acknowledgement and disappeared with Jaden. Jade stood there mesmerised by him, by his touch. He was of Jaden's age, she knew as he was Jaden's classmate at school. She heard that he dropped out of school in his final year when his parents died. He had to clear all their debts as well as take care of an ailing grandmother. 

He and his grandmother sold their sprawling house and bought this small property at the marketplace of their hometown, Travis Springs in Hays county, Texas. They turned it into a restaurant with a bar, naming it Jenny's Restaurant and Bar. 

They cleared their dues with the rest of the money. At the backside of the restaurant they lived in two small bedrooms, with a bathroom to share. It was all they could afford.