Chapter Five

Jayson and Karen's wedding was coming up and Jade was a little busy with the preparations as the reception was to be held in the backyard of their house. She coordinated with the wedding planner and helped with the arrangements. 

After the wedding was over, Juliette was abducted by her long time admirer Xavion.  She was worried about them and didn't get much time to do anything else. A week later however, their dad relaxed after hearing the news of Juliette's engagement to Xavion. They planned to get married next week. So, again she and her dad got busy with their wedding preparations. 

A week later, after Juliette and Xavion's wedding, life became normal. Jaden was in his final year of studies in Austin. He was planning to become a CPA. 

Jade went to college everyday and went to help at granny's restaurant in the evenings. They had started special cookery workshops in the afternoons to teach special dishes and delicacies at nominal prices. The concept was Jade's and she printed out simple posters and promoted them by giving them to friends and acquaintances. 

Soon these workshops became popular as women and girls flocked to learn. Money poured in and Jade spoke to them casually about how Dustin was framed.  Everyone sympathised. It was a clever ploy to clear Dustin's name.

The women went home and spoke to their family members. Slowly the bar started filling in with men who wanted a good drink. Granny called back some of her old employees. 

Jade went to meet Dustin every Saturday, religiously. She hoped one day he would meet her. But disappointment was a small word for what she felt when the guard returned with the same response. He felt ashamed of himself for giving her the heartbreaking news every time. 

Granny tried to convince Dustin to talk to Jade once,  for everything that she'd been doing for them. He didn't listen.

"No, granny. I can't. She's young and has a life ahead of her. I want her to move on and get married to a good guy. I want her to have a happily married life. I don't want her to wait for me for 15 years, granny. Please, let her go. Let her live her life. I beg of you," he said and went back to his cell.

His heart broke every time he had to say those words. Every Saturday he waited for her to come. He cried brokenly in his cell all on his own, with only Jade's  notebook to keep him company. He didn't wish to give her hope. He didn't wish to waste away her life waiting for him. He couldn't be so selfish. He knew he was breaking her heart but that was the only way.

Jade however didn't give up hope. She went every Saturday to see him. When his granny requested him a lot, Dustin gave in. He decided to end it all and make her come to her senses and go ahead with her life.

So the next Saturday when she went and waited, the guard came grinning with Dustin following behind him. His hair was grown and he looked tired and haggard. He had an overgrown beard and melancholy, sad, sunken eyes. He wore a prisoner's uniform, covering his body. Gone were the biceps that she had touched the first day that she had met him.

Big fat tears fell from her eyes at the sight of him,"Dustin," she whispered, and the sob that she was choking on, broke out. She went forward to hug him to herself but he just held out his hand, gesturing at her to stop.

She stared at him in confusion. "Look, I don't want you to come here and make a fool of yourself. Leave me and my family alone. Will you? We don't need your pity. We can look after ourselves. I was just playing with you. All that's done, finished. Why can't you get it in your head? Are you so desperate for a fu*k? Just get lost. I'm sure there are many boys of your age, ready and willing. Just leave," he said and walked away to his cell, breaking down completely. 

Jade walked towards the main door and out of Imperial prison forever. Her white face was indication enough that she received another shock. The third shock in her eighteen years of life.  Her first shock was the news of her mom's death, which toppled her world. The second was the news of Dustin's imprisonment which landed her at the hospital and now the harsh words that she never expected Dustin could say to her.

She went back home and stayed in her room. She didn't cry, her eyes were dry. She didn't eat, she didn't talk. 

When her dad found out after two days, he admitted her to the hospital again. Granny came to know about Jade's condition and had a word with her grandson. 

Dustin felt very heartbroken for having said all those things to her, but when he heard that she was hospitalised because of him, he was devastated. He still waited for her every Saturday and when she didn't turn up, he didn't know whether to be happy or sad. Truth was he wanted her to come for him. He wanted her to wait for him. He wanted her to love him. He wanted to be selfish but he knew he couldn't. He had to let her go and that was the only possible way. His granny tried to make him understand that Jade truly loved him but he tried to discourage her. Jade was the daughter of the richest man in Travis Springs and had a bright future ahead of her. Forgetting him would do her good. He had nothing to offer her. 

After a week, Jade was released from the hospital and sent to Austin to stay with Jaden and complete her studies. She concentrated on her studies and came home only to see her dad. 

She didn't go to meet granny or Dustin after that day. She didn't talk much to anyone. She just carried on with her life. 

She studied hard and stayed home to cook or to read. She didn't have any friends and didn't go out even when Jaden forced her to. Jaden was concerned but there was no way he could help her.

So life continued and studies continued for the next two years.