Chapter Nineteen

The next whole day, Dustin kept reminding her of their date. Even granny came to know that they were going on a date. She told them stories of her date with Dustin's grandpa. They held their stomach and rolled with laughter when granny told them how she poured wine over grandpa's head for trying to kiss her. 

Jade was forced to go home an hour early to get ready for her date. She chose a beautiful off shoulder black skater dress  with short sleeves and high-low hemline. She curled her hair and let it fall around her in soft curls. Clipping a pair of sterling silver earrings with black diamond studs to match her outfit. She was ready when tye doorbell rang. 

Stella announced Dustin's arrival and she went downstairs to greet him. His mouth dropped as he kept staring at her. Her dad was at Jayson's house for dinner. 

"You're looking very beautiful, Jade. I could eat you for dinner," he commented and she smiled.

"So are you," she said, taking in his pale blue dress shirt and black slacks and black blazer. His hair might have been gelled as it was combed to perfection. 

"I don't mind you eating me," he teased. 

"I didn't mean that," she answered, with red cheeks. 

He helped her to his Ford F-150 and going towards the driver's seat, climbed in. He maneuvered the truck towards the main road.

After a while they reached the marketplace. "Where are we going?" She asked as he parked the car in front of his restaurant. Jade was confused as he led her into his own restaurant. 

"We'll have our date here? What about when you have customers? Who would do their billing?" She asked, curiously looking at the empty restaurant. 

The whole restaurant was decorated with red heart shaped balloons and satin ribbons. A single table was draped with white floor length tablecloth. There was a silver vase with red roses as a centrepiece. Silver cutlery adorned the table. Jade gasped at the beauty of it all. 

"Wow, it's beautiful. Who decorated this place? It wasn't there when I left?" She said, glancing towards Dustin, who was scratching his head undecided whether to tell her or not.

"Well, I had it decorated for our date," he confessed and Jade jumped with joy.

"If there are customers, Richardson will handle them. Let's enjoy our dinner," he said,  leading her to the beautifully decorated table. 

They sat and wine was served along with appetizers. There were beef sausage pot-stickers and mozzarella sticks in hot spinach artichoke dip. 

"These are granny's recipes. Right? She could have joined us," said Jade. 

"Granny's tired. She had an early dinner and went to bed," said Dustin. 

"These are delicious, " gushed Jade, as she licked the dip off her lips. "You have some dip on your lips," she told Dustin who tried to lick it.

"Here let me," she offered, brushing his lips with her thumb. His sharp intake of breath indicated that he loved the touch of her fingers on his lips. He caught her hand and licked the dip off.

"Your staff would be watching us," she breathed.

"Let them. They know we are together, " he informed and Jade nodded.

The main course was brought in. Granny's special Texas chicken casserole doused with hot sauce over the top. They served stir fried asparagus and pan seared potato wedges on the side. It was the most mouth watering meal that she had in decades. 

"It's delicious. The best that I had in ages," she said, honestly.

"I know, I didn't want you to have dinner anywhere else, but here, to savour granny's dishes," he said.

They enjoyed their meal amidst easy discussions regarding their house and it's progress. They were glad that the house would be ready in 15 more days.

Dustin informed her that he had received the rest of the inherited sum. The compensation money has been sanctioned and he would receive it by next month. 

The dessert was served. Strawberry shortcake which was Dustin's favourite. 

"I can't eat a crumb more. I'm so full," said Jade and Dustin grinned. 

"Then it's time," he said and gestured towards the chef in the kitchen who was peeping at them through the glass aperture. 

"Time for what?" She asked in confusion. 

Suddenly music started and she turned around to see their chef strumming a guitar. She stared around with wonder. What was going on? Dustin went down on one knee in front of her. She gasped when realisation struck. 

"I was crushing on you from the moment I saw you at the party that day. I didn't realise I  was in love with you too. I realised when you were separated from me and I was sentenced for 15 long years. I was broken and shattered Jade. I didn't have any hope of ever seeing you in this wretched life. But your love saved me and here I am contemplating a future with you. It's so surreal, like a dream come true. So will you make this dream last forever? Will you marry me Jade?" He asked with his eyes shining with raw emotions. 

"Yes, Dustin. Not only you, it's a dream come true for me too," she answered. He took out a box from his pocket and opened it. A small jade ring with diamonds around it sparkled from inside the box. He took it out and placed it onto her finger. 

"I had it made especially for you, " he said, proudly. 

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever possessed Dustin. I love it," she gushed. 

Suddenly loud claps filled the air as all their staff came out to congratulate them. Even granny came to congratulate them. They chatted some more and granny went back to her apartment. 

Dustin and Jade left the restaurant. They went to their favourite spot beside the gurgling brook where he had taken her before to talk. They sat, hand in hand under the moonlit sky, staring ahead at the water rushing past. 

"When are we getting married?"she asked him.

"In a fortnight? Our house should be ready by then," he said. 

"Ok. But we need to announce to my family," said Jade. "Tomorrow there is our monthly get together at home and everyone would be present. Would you come over Dustin? We could announce our plans to my whole family," she suggested. 

"Fine, I'll be there," confirmed Dustin. They kissed under the moonlight and then reluctantly got up to go home. Dustin dropped her and kissing her forehead drove off to his house, whistling a happy tune.