iridescent . chan

---------------------------------------------------
genre: trainee / idol life au 
word count: 3.9K 
playlist: 
인정하기 싫어 (i don't want to admit) - bang chan
!! story requested by ZENITHofME - thank you!
a/n:
i finally got round to doing this request, i kinda added a few plot twists so i hope that's okay,, enjoy! (P.S ITZY is featured :)). Loving You (the chan fic w 2 parts atm) readers, I'm sorry for not posting I need to edit part 3 cos there's a few major holes LOL also i don't want to do 2 chan fics in a row so I'll post when I can <3
----------------------------------------------------

[noun] Iridescence is the phenomenon of certain surfaces that appear to gradually change color as the angle of illumination changes.

I. I did it.

I blinked, and rubbed my eyes furiously. The email notification stared innocently up at me from my phone, waiting for my ridiculous self to close my mouth and actually read the details.

Miss Y/n,

Congratulations for passing the online audition! You have been accepted as a trainee in JYP Entertainment, Korea. Please fill in your particulars for your final screening at JYP Building in one month's time...

I mouthed each syllable of the message I received, in absolute disbelief and awe. Sounding it out, it sounded like someone else's dream. But no, I sprawled out on top of my duvet, breathing hard and fast - it was my dream. My dream ever since my older cousin, Jeon Soyeon of (G)I-DLE, had been scouted at 14 and got casted on Produce 101 shortly after. My aunt and uncle - her parents - were so supportive of the both of us, encouraging me to follow in her footsteps from the day I turned 10. Watching her perform - I practiced discreetly, late into the night with earbuds shoved into my ears and lights off squinting at kpop choreography videos, finally mustering up the courage to audition to several companies at 17 years' old. Her passion fuelled my ambition to one day, become a star like her.

R. Reality is disappointing, though.

I brought my phone to my eyes and my face fell when I read the last line of the email.

... Parents' consent is required.

Immediately, the entire fantasy of debuting shatters before my vision. You see, even though my aunt and uncle rooted for me in their own sweet ways, my mum and dad- well, they disapproved of almost everything I did, and I could say it wasn't even a hyperbole.

Conservative Asian parents, that I understood. But piling heaps and heaps of assessment books, scheduling every ounce of free time I have with enrichment classes, picking out my clothes at 17 with the fear of "indecency" and placing a location tracker in my phone? Sorry?

I rolled over onto my stomach, dropping the device onto the carpet below my bed. Groaning into the bed, I think to myself, since I already auditioned and got in, how could they turn this down? At least I'll get out of their hair for a while... considering I even pass the final screening.

A cloud of self-doubt shadowed my thoughts and I found myself losing confidence in everything I worked so hard for. That was my weakness - and it left me feeling empty, a darkness gnawing at my insides. But I must try. For my path ahead is mine to choose, mine to take.

Over dinner, I sat silently at the table, watching my parents comfortably hide in the nuances, the commonalities of a quiet, prim and proper family of three. My heart was pounding aggressively in my ribcage, and I took a steady breath to prepare myself for the worst. Placing my chopsticks neatly down, I looked from mum to dad.

"Mum, Dad, I have something to tell you..."

They glanced up at me, the only sounds in the house were of them chewing.