Chapter 2 - Nicholas Allen

Mary Jenkins's POV

"I guess the date didn't go well?" Nick asked me as he munched on his sandwich while leaning against my cubicle.

I rolled my eyes at his insensitivity and returned him with a sarcastic remark, "Isn't lunchtime supposedly over? You know I could pen that down in our peer performance evaluation form if you are asking for it?"

"Woah... That's what I get for saving a share of my sandwich for you?" Nick pointed to the sandwich on my table.

"I figured you probably didn't have much for lunch, you can thank me later," Nick smug.

I was touched by his thoughtfulness, but before I could even return him with a thank you, he was already smiling back at Sean's intern, Kathy Madison, who winked at him as she walked past us.

Ok... I get it. Nicholas is undeniably a tall and good-looking young chap. This blondie had always been popular back in school, those enchanting cerulean eyes of his sent girls swooning to him but I never understand why he is still single till this date. Perhaps he has a hard time trying to pick a girl of his choice out of the countless choices that he has. The thought of this irks me because I've been putting up with him flaunting about his good looks.

"Seriously?" I gave him a deadpan look.

"You know I can't help it," Nick ran his hand through his hair in a cocky manner, obviously confident about his looks.

"Kathy!" I called out to the intern.

"Yea?" She turned back, her eyes gleamed with excitement as she walked back towards us.

"Nick wanted you to have this, he is worried if you had enough for lunch," I lied.

"Really?" Kathy squealed in surprise. Her beaming wide smile and her flushed face immediately gave her away, she was obviously head over heels with Nick.

"Yup!" I said as I passed the sandwich over to her with a plastered smile.

Kathy bit her lips nervously before she looked at Nick in his eyes and said to him shyly, "Thank you." Then she hopped away happily, letting out a few squeals of excitement along the way.

"What THE HELL did you do that for?!" Nick mouthed to me, looking disturbed by Kathy's reaction.

"Trying to get you fixed up with a date since you were digging so hard at Kathy. You can thank me later. You know your mom has been very concerned about you, she thinks you're gay," I burst out laughing as I said.

"I wasn't digging at Kathy, I'm dodging her to be exact and for the record, I'm as straight as a ruler can get," Nick rebutted.

I chuckled at how Nick used a ruler to describe himself as a straight guy.

"Now that's more like it, you look better when you smile," Nick smiled at me.

"Thanks... I just had a bad day," I sighed heavily. Then I whispered to Nick, "It's that stupid Marvin again."

"You know how I hard I've been working on the case of Gambit Empire all my life. I studied so hard to become a prosecutor because I believed that this was the best way to get justice done for my father. This morning, I just got leads through my email about the Gambit Empire. Someone anonymous said he could he pass me the evidence built against Gambit's crime if I were to meet him in Sicily alone but Marvin refuses to let me work on it. He says it's the job of the international police to work on the leads, but if they could even be trusted, they would have long served justice for the death of my father," I reclined in my chair in defeat as I passed the file of leads over to Nick.

"I know you worked hard on this," Nick gave me a reassuring pat on my shoulder.

I guess at the end of the day, this annoying prick is still the only comfort I have.

"Thanks..." I smiled, and then I looked at the photograph of my father in his sheriff uniform which was placed on my table and I muttered to myself, "I just don't want him to die in vain."

Nick returned the file to me after reading it, and then he said to me, "He didn't die in vain, you made sure of that. I'm sure Uncle Mike would be so proud to know that his daughter had achieved so much in life."

Nick pointed to the plaque on my table and said, "Valedictorian of Harvard's Double Major in Law and Criminology, not any Tom, Dick or Harry could have easily earned that."

"Well, I don't know if any Tom, Dick or Harry got that, but you were a valedictorian in your year too, so that doesn't make it special anymore," I threw a sarcastic remark right back at Nick.

"You sure know how to return my kindness, don't you?" Nick gave me a straight face.

That's just how we communicate, exchanging 'swords' since young.

"Go for it, go get yourself a ticket to Sicily." Nick winked at me before he left for his cubicle.

Nickis right, who says I can't go just because that stupid Marvin said no. I'mgoing to shaft the evidence right in Marvin's darn face once I returned from mytriumph trip.