Chapter 12 - The Indescribable Moment

*Mary Jenkins's POV*

"Mary, I have a case here that the FBI agency has been following through lately. It has come to our attention that this has got to do with the Gambit Empire too. Panofiz, this pharmaceutical firm has been allowing the Gambit Empire to conceal their illegal international drug dealings through the facade of the company. The FBI didn't notice anything suspicious about the company until lately there have been a large volume of suspicious activity. There have been words that the Phantom is here in the States to use Panofiz's corporate ball event tonight as a cover-up to foster their partnership. In fact, it's a Masquerade themed ball, which I suppose they had this theme in place just so Phantom could blend in without being noticed. I couldn't think of any other better candidate to handle this case other than you, after all, you know best about the Gambit Empire. As you know, we need the evidence to bring down the Gambit Empire, this event would be the chance for us." Mr George Coleman, the new Chief Prosecutor, said to me as he handed a file of documents over to me.

"Large volume of suspicious activity? It sounds like they almost wanted our attention... Weird... because this is so unlikely of what Phantom's style of going under the radar," I raised a concern as I flipped through the documents in my hand.

"Which is why the FBI has arranged agents to be planted at the ball tonight. However, I thought it would be better if you could be there as well, first-hand news is always the best. Don't worry, the FBI agents have agreed to help watch your back for you, you will be safe." He assured me.

"What about the Interpol, are they in the loop on this?" I asked.

"We try not to bring them in as of now, after all, it's just rumour that Phantom will appear tonight. We don't want to alarm them with more men on-site, but we will rope in the Interpol once we have more concrete evidence in hand after tonight," He explained.

I have to say I am extremely blessed to have Mr Coleman as my new superior. A supportive superior who has an upright moral standard in work ethics is especially important in making sure our justice system works.

"We're counting on you for this one, let me know if you need any help," Mr Coleman said with an affirmative smile.

"Yes, of course, I will work hard on this one. Thank you, Sir, for entrusting this case to me," I assured him before I left.

*Panofiz's Corporate Ball*

With the help of the FBI agency, I managed to sneak into Panofiz's corporate ball uninvited.

It was a large ballroom venue with a huge crystal chandelier that prominently glitz out in the centre of the ballroom. The size of the orchestra ensemble that plays live music at the background helped to chart up the whole prestigious vibe of this event. There was no lack of expensive food and beverages like a champagne fountain, caviar, truffle, oyster, etc that were deliciously decked out. Not forgetting, the scent of rich perfume and cologne from the ladies in their finest gown and the men in their finest suits made this place smells just like the place where crime would be attracted to.

Indeed, it was an opulent event, after all, the pharmaceutical industry is one of the most lucrative industry in the world. Surely, the guests on their list are stranger to the upper-class strata.

I took a glass of champagne as a pretence to calm my nerves as I stealthily made my way to where the boss of Panofiz was going to meet the Phantom.

While I stood at the edge of the stairs trying to figure out which way I should go to, a tall figure loomed over to me. I looked up realised to my astonishment that the man who stood in front of me in a tuxedo that enunciates his masculine frame was Leo!