Chapter 6 - Back to Reality

Mary Jenkins's POV

"Would you just slide over to that side, please? Your shoulder is eating up way too much into my space!" I snapped at Nick who sat next to me on our flight back home.

In fact, this is the first time we have been sitting this close to each other since decades ago. I never came to realise how much this little boy here has grown into his manly features until now. How broad his shoulder was and how muscular his frame has grown into...

He yawned in response to my request and deliberately slide over to my side even more so.

"Seriously?!" I glared at his intentional childish act.

Alright, the verdict is out, he is still that little boy in a grown man's body.

Well, I shall serve him what he asks for.

I stuck my finger out and started tickling him at his waist.

He jolted up in his seat and chuckled in defeat, "Alright... alright...! I lose!"

Then a thud fell against the floor, it was Nick's phone that has slipped out of his pocket amidst the tussle we had.

"Aww... Look what have you done to my phone?" Nick said jokingly. I rolled my eyes in response.

Just as Nick bent forward to retrieve his phone, the air stewardess had already picked up his phone.

"Here you go, Mr Allen," The air stewardess flashed her beguiling smile at Nick.

"Thank you," Nick responded with a flash of his smile too as he took over his phone.

There we go again... She was obviously smitten by Nick and has plans to dig hard at him. Yet another classic day for Nick.

"You're welcome, Mr Allen, it's my pleasure to be able to serve you on this flight. I'm Elly, Please, feel free to call me if you need anything," The air stewardess chirped and shifted her eyes over to me briefly with a smile just to acknowledge my presence out of courtesy.

"Alright, sure," Nick responded with a steady smile once again.

"Seems like Kathy Madison, our poor intern, has lost her spot to Elly..." I rubbed sarcasm at Nick's behaviour with feigned sulking.

"Well, you're wrong. Nobody can replace that spot," Nick replied.

"Aww... I'm sure Kathy will be over the moon to hear this," I continued with my sarcasm game.

"It ain't her. I'm telling you this for the hundredth time," Nick said firmly.

"Who is that girl then? Do I know her? Is it Cassie? Regina? Vera?..." I shot out a random list of names from our department building that I could remember off the top of my head.

"There has always been only one girl in that spot through and through," His face turned straight as he closed his eyes, seemingly done with my teasing.

"I bet she is pretty... and dumb," I joked.

"Yea, you're right, she is beautiful but she is a REAL DUMB one. So dumb that she doesn't even know I like her," Nick threw his last sarcastic remark at me before he turned over to one side to catch his sleep.

Phew... what's that feistiness for? Whatever...

I reclined back at my seat and was soon consumed by the heaviness weighing on my lids.

I lost track of time in my sleep until I was woken up by some sound. I squinted my heavy eyes when the sudden glare of the sunset flare from outside the window shone over my eyes suddenly.