Chapter 10 - Betrayed

*A few months later*

Life hasn't been this good until I have been with Nick. He really brings out the best in me and showers me with no lack of love.

Never have I expected the boy who sticks around with me since young is now the man of my dream.

I couldn't believe how thick I was in the head until Aunt Rosa pulled out pictures of our young times and there in almost every picture was Nick looking at me in his wide-eyed gaze. She also told me how ridiculous he could still bag the title of prom king even when he insisted on going to high school prom alone despite the countless invitations from girls all because I was the only prom queen in his heart ever since he saw me in my prom dress two years before his prom night. This was also how both Aunt Rosa and Uncle Ted knew from the beginning that Nick was in love with me.

Knowing these sets my heart with this fuzziness of warmth and pure bliss. How could I have not noticed his feelings for me all this while...?

These few months of dating has been nothing but pure sweetness, I doubt we will ever fall out of the honeymoon phase at this rate.

"Are you sure you won't be bored waiting in my office for my meeting to end?" Nick asked me for the countless time.

"Yes..." I replied with my eyes rolled.

He giggled at my response and then he dug through his pocket and placed candies on my hand, "Alright, suit yourself, here are some candies for you."

"Hey! I'm not a kid!" I protested.

He smiled at me and then he pecked a kiss on my forehead before he left me in the office for his meeting.

"Be good!" He echoed before closing the door on me.

I stuck out my tongue playfully at him.

A few minutes later, a knock came through the door and a lady appeared.

She resembled somewhat like me at first sight. Her eyes were evidently in dismay upon the sight of me.

"You must be Ms Jenkins?" She asked.

"Yes, and you are...?" I asked.

She shook her head and snickered to herself, "I should have known... no wondered he dated me back then."

"Excuse me? Who dated you?" I asked her in bafflement.

"Nick. Didn't he told you about me?" She asked me with a ridiculed look.

"I don't know what are you talking about?" I said, feeling the hostility towards her.

"Somethings are better left for him to explain to you. Besides, I'm just here to pass him this document. It's the case on the Gambit Empire. Since you are on it too, I guess it wouldn't harm to hand this file to him through you. I'm Marie, M-A-R-I-E, by the way," She said impassively to me before she left the room.

What the hell is going on?! Why did Nick date someone who not only has similar looks to me, but her name as well? When did Nick even date anyone before me? How is that even possible when he always said I have always been the one in his heart through and through?!

Overwhelmed by whatever I just heard, I accidentally dropped the file in my hand onto the ground and the contents in it came out of the file.

That was when the wordings in the content caught my attention. I picked up the documents on the floor and read through it in disbelief. My hands were shaking as I clenched my jaw with tears building up in my eyes.

I was thoroughly shaken to learn the truth that I had actually been part of the Interpol plan back in Sicily. Nick planned this entire operation after knowing I have received leads from someone in the Gambit Empire. He already knew from sources that the Gambit Empire probably used these leads to lure me out to kill me. I was evaluated to be at a high risk in this operation and yet he still led me on to danger. He took this risk just so they could fish out men from the Gambit Empire and trace their source back to Marvin who has been pointed out as the man responsible for the leaks to the Gambit Empire.