Chapter 28

After that night of having that weird conversation with the King, my head had been filled with more unanswered questions and, this time, my heart also began to fill with dread.

What does he mean by that?

That was the question that constantly circling my head but, no matter how loudly or quietly asked it to myself, it was left unanswered.

Mackenzie slowly began going back to her lessons after being persuaded by the King, along with the help of Emilia and I. So, sometimes, the three of us would loiter the palace together after Mackenzie's practice, my training, and after Emilia check up on the Queen.

After a couple days, Emilia brought good news to the palace and hope to the people's heart.

The Queen was slowly getting better, though she still hasn't woken up from her coma. But, now, everyone has high hopes that she will get back to her feet once again, and soon.

Mackenzie and I was waiting for Emilia to join us at the garden where we had prepared a large snack for the three of us to share. We were sat side-by-side under the large tree that is providing us shade from the merciless and scorching sun.

I do not know why the best friends had suddenly decided to plan a picnic in this heat, but I knew that I couldn't deny either of their request even if I wanted to.

"Thank you for asking the cooks to prepare our favourite meals" Mackenzie spoke softly, a smile also playing in her lips.

I smiled back.

"Actually, I was the one who made them, but I definitely received help from them. I just wanted to know how to cook your favourite meals, especially yours" I stated with a shrug.

Cooking for someone close to me has definitely been something I had loved to do, I most definitely did it for my grandmother for when she was alive and, if it wasn't for her support, I won't be as good in the kitchen as I am now.

"I think you're doing this on purpose to make me fall for you" Mackenzie smiled at me, the sunlight slipping through the leaves and giving her an ethereal glow.

I laughed.

"Not really, but am I doing a great job?" I teased.

"I'll let you know once I taste the food you made" she said. "Where's Emilia anyway"

We both looked around just as Emilia had turned the corner so that she came into our view.

"So sorry, I had to make sure that everything is in order with the Queen before I could assure myself that I can leave" Emilia explained as soon as she got close to us and after she greeted us with a smile.

"No need to apologize, Emilia. You're taking care of my mother, after all, and we wouldn't mind waiting for you" Mackenzie said with a dismissive wave of her hand and, might I add, she makes waving of a hand looks elegant and captivating, much like her whole personality.

When Emilia had settled down as well, I began to distribute the food amongst ourselves. I filled up plates with food of their respective tastes and gave it to them.

Mackenzie gave me a sweet 'thank you' when I passed her plate.

When it was Emilia's turn, our fingers barely brushed under the plate but, somehow, the energy that entered my body and coursed through my veins were unmeasurable that all I could do was to howl in pain as I can feel my body twitch and shiver, uncontrollable.

"Elyse!" I can hear both women holler in panic as they rushed to my side. One moment, I can feel them around me. I could still feel their hands on me as they desperately tried to calm my body down, but it couldn't stop the pain.