Chapter 37

Dear Mackenzie,

I had safely reached the town and I am thankful that you had chosen Conner as my companion as it had certainly made the journey light and interesting. I had found out that we used to be sparring partners when I had just began practicing with the Knights under your Uncle's supervision. He had also told me about the time that we had visited the town. I had to write this letter in haste seeing as Conner won't be able to stay for long and I think it is best that he bring my first letter to you, so I hope this letter gets to you well. I will miss you dearly.

Yours truly,
Elyse

----

A smile played on my lips as soon as I opened Elyse's letter and it never left even after I had finished reading it. It was already night time when Conner was able to return back to the palace and, despite the weariness that started to rest heavily on my eyes, I was able to get enough energy when he announced the letter that he was delivering to read through it and still had some energy left to write back to Elyse, simply telling her the things that had happened in the palace since she had left almost 2 weeks ago.

The builders began to travel throughout the towns as to begin the renovations of structures to make sure that they would be sturdy enough in case a tragedy hits the Kingdom again and, although Elyse will no longer be joining them, the blueprints that Elyse had left them will be of great help to make their jobs easier.

---

Dear Mackenzie,

Louella has been asking when you will have the time to visit as she is very eager to see you again. Emily has also been asking for you that it felt like she missed you more than me, although the two understands that, being the new Queen, it would be next to impossible to find time to visit the town simply for leisure. Other than that, I hope that you are doing well. Please make sure that you are getting enough sleep and are able to eat at proper times.

Yours truly,
Elyse

---
I smiled at the mention of the name of the wise woman and the interesting little girl that I had the pleasure of meeting when going to Elyse's town. How I wish that I could just go there and visit them, and of course Elyse as well, but I fear that Elyse may not like it seeing as she had asked time away from each other. She did say that it was only Louella and Emily looking for me, not her.

With that thought, the fear that Elyse may not come back or only come back to simply tell me that she no longer wants to stay with me crept up my spine once more.

So, before I began to write my letter to Elyse, I looked up at the enormous painting hanging by my bed.

I decided to place it there so that it would be the first that I would see in the morning before I start the day and it would also be the last thing that I would see before closing my eyes.

Just seeing Elyse's arms wrapped around me in the painting makes me yearn to feel it for myself as well. When I looked down at the blank paper on my desk, I was tempted to write as to how I misses her touch, especially her kisses, but decided against it.

Instead, I had asked how Louella is doing as well as Emily and the others. I had informed her that, though I had a hectic schedule lately, I am still able to eat properly although my sleep hours has been reduced. I also notified her that I will not be in the palace as I am needed in a town which means my replies will be delayed for possibly a month and, although I am also tempted to ask her when she will return, I simply ended the letter by also telling her to take care of herself

---
Dear Mackenzie,
This is definitely not something that I would like to tell you through the letters, and definitely not how I want to start this one, but Louella is not doing good. Old age is starting to catch up to her and, although she is still a stubborn woman, refusing to admit that she can no longer do most of the things that she usually could, she still tried. On the other hand, Emily and her family are doing great. Curio had found a partner in a nearby town when he got lost during a trip while Raymond and Aliesha is expecting another child! Emily is really happy to finally be a big sister.