Chapter 9

"Louella!" A banging on the floor had shook Louella's being as she was rushed back to consciousness. It took her a moment to realize what was happening, and she quickly rushed out of her bed and towards her door where the banging continues. When she opened the door, it revealed Curio with a huge smile on his face.

"Elyse is back!" was all he needed to say to make Louella prepare herself so that she could travel with Curio back to their place, where Elyse currently is.

On their way, Curio had mentioned that Raymond had seen Elyse passed out near their property. They're still unsure why Elyse is passed out or why her clothes were torn, but that is something that they're planning to ask her once she regains her consciousness. 

"Does she... look the same?" Louella asked, not knowing how else to form the question and Curio immediately understood. 

He nodded. "Nothing is missing and she doesn't have any visible injuries on her body. Emilia had truly made a miracle!" Curio exclaimed in glee and Louella smiled widely at him in agreement.

"Emily cannot contain herself when she saw her father bring Elyse in and that child would surely bombard Elyse with stories once she wakes up" Curio chuckled.

"And we all know that Elyse would gladly listen to every word" Louella added with a light laugh. "Oh for sure!" Curio exclaimed, being unable to contain the happiness that was coursing through his body.

All of them hasn't been this at ease since Elyse's accident and, despite the unanswered questions swirling on their heads, they did not let this ruin their happiness.

"Do you know how long she has been out before Raymond found her?" Louella suddenly asked just as they are only few kilometers away from the residence, the sound of Curio's horse's hooves constantly clicking on the ground as it pulled the carriage Louella is in.

"It was a fairly cold night, Raymond said that Elyse isn't cold when he carried her inside so she's probably just had passed out when Raymond found her" he explained, another relieved sigh escaping from Louella's lips.

"That's good" she muttered, mostly to herself, but it was loud enough for Curio to hear as well.

When Curio had stopped the carriage, Louella wasn't able to wait for him and had just climbed off the carriage, barely waiting for Curio as she walked inside the house in a hurry.

The first that she saw were the Knights. They still hadn't left since the two had escorted the brother's back to the safety of their abode. There were some that was assigned to investigate the matter of the wolves while the rest took turns in guarding the town. Their presence had put the hearts of the townsmen at ease, but it will never be enough as long as they know that those creatures are still out there.

"Have they found something new about the wolves?" Louella had asked Curio quietly after they have passed through the resting Knights.

Since Raymond and his family is kind enough to provide a roof over the Knights, they are always the first one to know about the additional information that they would gather. Unfortunately, there is none.

"It's still the same as before. They've found the carcass of the lost animals here and there  but still no signs about the wolves. It's as if they are careful not to leave a mark other than the bodies" Curio told her.

"What are they doing about the bodies of the animals. That can still count as clues, right?"

Curio nodded. "They have sent it back to the palace so that it can be analyzed. They're bound to find hair in there or something"

This had made Louella's heart grew weary again. Sure that the beast that she had seen no longer strike fear to her bones, but she cannot say the same for her neighbours. No one also knows what that creature may do next, and that is something that Louella is not ready to find out, or ever will be.