Chapter 30

Elyse suddenly ran out of my room without uttering another word to me, leaving me utterly confused about her sudden change of actions.

I wanted to run after her, but I knew that it would be futile with her speed. Who can even catch up with a Lycan?

I couldn't shake the look on her face, though, or how her eyes were a mix of her natural brown and the unnatural yellow and red.

While I was doing my morning routine, I had contemplated looking for her to make sure that she was okay, but, when I had left my room, I was immediately whisked away by a palace maiden to the meeting room where the advisers were already gathered.

So, with a sigh, I had decided to postpone looking for Elyse but made sure to commit that, after this, I will look for her and make sure that she's okay.

Fortunately, we didn't have to go to another town so it will be easier compared to the past few days.

During the meeting, I had only listened to a quarter of what they were talking about, my mind wandering to a lot of things. Other than Elyse, I was also thinking of my father, whom I had only seen couple of times, most of them brief, and I had only spoke with him when discussing matters within the Kingdom. Then, there's also the thought of my Mother, whose death I had refused to mourn to.

After her funeral, it felt like my brain had pushed all those memories to a dark corner while my heart refused to produce any more tears. Actually, it felt like I became numb to all sorts of feelings, it's like my brain did that on purpose as to avoid feeling sadness. The consequence of that is I am unable to continue reciprocating the affection that Elyse had been giving.

Was that the reason why she ran away?

Did she finally realize that she no longer wants to be with me?

The thought brought a surge of fear down my spine and it made me more determined to look for Elyse. Fortunately, it was also the time that the advisers had wrapped up the meeting and I quickly dismissed them all.

Not bothering waiting for them to leave the room, I left in haste and began my search. When I had turned to a corner where the door to the garden would be, I had stumbled to Emilia and almost crashed into her.

We muttered an apology to each other and dismissed it with a quiet laugh.

"I haven't seen you much around" she stated with a sad smile on her face.

"Well, there were tons of work that has to be picked up and there's no one else to do it but me" I sighed.

"It fits you well, you know. All this royal work, but how are you coping with it?" She asked, holding on to my forearm gently like she always does when we walk together.

"I'm getting used to it, other than not having much of a choice but to" I shrugged.

"You're going to have to at some point. Although the situation could've been different"

I agreed with her with a nod of my head, then I suddenly remembered why I was going to the garden.

"Oh, have you seen Elyse by chance? I was looking for her" I pulled her into a halt in the middle of the corridor.

"I was actually supposed to meet with her at the garden but she didn't show up. Has something happened?"

I opened my mouth to answer but something suddenly clicked.

They were supposed to meet at the garden?

Why were they meeting at the garden? The garden is Elyse and mine's special place where we would meet to be together and just be free. Is it now their special place as well?