𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊. 𝒉𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒔

"NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY THIS, BRO, BUT YOU ARE AN OFFICIAL A MEMBER OF THE POUGES."

Everyone laughed at John B giving Thomas an initiation. It was all going good, until JJ suggested he should eat squirrel shit to be accepted by them. That was when Thomas finally lost his shit and started shouting. But other than that, their spirits were still high and their blood was still pumping with adrenaline. They loved it. Everything was a mess, but it didn't matter because they had each other. And sitting in the peaceful dark around a fire, truly felt like the calm before the storm.

"Hey, guys, so, like, my dad's already gonna kill me," Pope spoke up, turning serious now as the laughter died down. Kiara rested her head on Tatum's shoulder, causing them both to smile widely, finding both comfort and warmth in each other. "So what's this mandatory meeting about? And why is he suddenly here?" He gestured to Thomas, who was sitting beside his sister, and fidgety as hell around these people. They were way too bubbly and happy. The people he usually hung out with were always stoned and fearful.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed," said JJ, looking up at their boss.

Thomas turned to his sister uncomfortablely at her friend's word choice, instantly reminded of what was waiting for him back home. His boyfriend - the love and the only light of his whole fucking life - was dead. His own father shot him in the head. And now his father was waiting for him to be next.

"You ready for this?" asked John B.

Kiara lifted her head to look around. Tatum frowned at the sudden loss of contact. "Yeah."

"So..." John B smiled, looking around the group with mystery. JJ Maybank, the impulsive boy who would always stand up for his friends. Pope Heyward, the smartest guy anyone could ever meet. Kiara Carrera, the supportive girl who didn't have to think before telling it how it is. Tatum Quinn, the slightly crazy girl, who would kill for the people she loved. And Thomas Quinn - well, his reputation preceeded him. John B was so lucky to have these people by his side through this. "...The gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

Pope sighed. "Oh, my God. Here we go again with this."

Thomas raised his brows at the boy's unpositive attitude. He thought everyone in his sister's little group were all upbeat and optimistic. At least there was one realistic person in this circle of dodo's.

"No. All right, wait," said JJ, before everyone went straight to disbelieving John B's statement. "Hear him out, all right?"

They all turned back to John B, who was waiting patiently with a finger over his lips. Tatum was pretty sure he was high right now. She hadn't been high in ages. She needed a joint ASAP. "It's been here the whole time," he revealed calmly. He turned to the girls beside him. "It's on the island."

"Bullshit," scoffed Thomas. He had no idea what this whole treasure hunt was about, but he couldn't believe he allowed his brainwashed sister to drag him into it. He had too much to deal with right now. For fucks sake, his big brother was trashing the whole town, searching for him, with a loaded gun, at this very moment.

Tatum shook her head and sent him a confident look, silently telling him to listen, rather than call BS straight away. Kiara looked around, her mouth wide. "Are you serious?" She turned to her side, to look at the twins, who were currently nudging each other back and forth. There were no weapons. They were just teasing. Like real siblings. Tatum stopped what she was doing when she locked eyes with Kie. Thomas scoffed. He shook his head. She nodded. Kie smiled. "Oh, my God."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism," Pope said disbelievingly. His friends were idiots. He was smart. That was just how it was. Why did they never listen to him?