𝒙𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓

"YOUR FIRST COURT DATE IS ON FRIDAY."

Tatum tilted her head in thought. She hadn't spared even a tiny piece of her mind on the upcoming murder trial she had put herself on. The last time it was spoken of was at the Midsummers party, when Kiara's parents told her the deal was off.

Wait. Should she tell Kie about that whole thing? She probably should, right?

Nah. What was the point of causing problems when it was over and done with now?

But at the mention of the court date, she did begin to spiral over the cursed  thoughts of 'what if?' She remembered what Mrs Carrera had told her at the police station - that she'd only continue drag Kiara down for the rest of her life. They would've paid for lawyers, good ones, that would guarantee her a free life. But the price she had to pay for it would be losing Kie. Forever.

At first, she thought that was a good idea. Maybe her parents were right. Maybe their relationship was doomed. But now, looking at the beautiful girl she had spent the night with, Tatum couldn't think anything worse than being away from her. They had the gold - the gold is her escape. From the law, from the town, from her family - the gold would guarantee the girls a good life. Together.

"Oh, crap," groaned Tatum, ignoring the girl's comment about the trial. She rolled over the glass and picked up the burner phone beside her.

42 𝙼𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚜 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚃𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚢 𝚃𝚘𝚘-𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎

27 𝚅𝚘𝚒𝚌𝚎𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚕𝚜 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚃𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚢 𝚃𝚘𝚘-𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎

170 𝚄𝚗𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚖𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚜 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚃𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚢 𝚃𝚘𝚘-𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎

She rolled her eyes at his dramatics and sat up to read the most recent of his texts, all sent in the space of half an hour. Kiara leaned over her shoulder with a smile. Last night was the best night of her life, and she was more happy than she ever could be to finally be with Tatum.

𝚁𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙼𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚜

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚞𝚌𝚔 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙶𝚎𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚊𝚜𝚜 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙷𝚊𝚜 𝙻𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝚃𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚞𝚌𝚔 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙸𝚖 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙿𝚘𝚙𝚎

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚞

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙷𝚞𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚊𝚜𝚜 𝚞𝚙 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚞𝚜 𝚊𝚝 𝚙𝚊𝚠𝚗 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚙

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙼𝚎𝚕𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚕𝚍. 𝙶𝙴𝚃 𝙷𝙴𝚁𝙴 𝙽𝙾𝚆

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙲𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚒𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚕𝚝𝚢 𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚞𝚙

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚏𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚃𝚊𝚝𝚎. 𝙶𝚎𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝙸 𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎

"He really loves you," Kiara commented with a light smile, kissing her girlfriend on the cheek. Her girlfriend. She grinned at the thoughts in her head.

Tatum nodded slowly, staring at the texts. "Yeah." He really did. Whether or not the twins admitted to caring for each other, the two loved each other more than anything in the world. More than Tatum loved Kie. More than Thomas loved Ian. Her phone lit up again.

𝚃𝚃𝙻: 𝙸 𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚝𝚘 𝙶𝚘𝚍 𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚙𝚕𝚢 𝚒𝚗 20 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚜, 𝙸'𝚖 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚙𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙹𝙹'𝚂 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚘𝚏𝚏

Kiara laughed. "He called him JJ," she stated, playfully nudging the girl in the arm. "That's improvement."

Tatum giggled, turning around to give her a soft kiss on the lips, and shot her overprotective brother a quick text.

𝚃𝚊𝚝𝚎: 𝙾𝚗 𝚖𝚢 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚗𝚘𝚠. 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝'𝚜 𝚖𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

"I've got some clothes at the wreck," said Kiara, her arms wrapped around Tatum from behind. "We can get ready there and meet them at the shop."

Tatum nodded, but neither girl moved for another ten minutes, despite the fact she had promised her brother she was on her way.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

"TOOK YOU LONG ENO -"

Thomas froze mid-sentence when he realised why Tatum didn't return 'home' last night. Here she was, hours late, holding hands with her lifetime crush, Kiara Carrera. No wonder she was gone for so long. Pope's eyes widened and he choked on his drink. Sarah grinned and nudged her best friend in the arm. John B smiled and sent Tate a nod.

"My dreams have come true," squealed JJ excitedly. He looked up at the sky. "Thank you, Santa."

Tatum rolled her eyes as Thomas fixed the boy with a threatening look. Sometimes JJ Maybank really needed to think about what was coming out of his mouth before he said it.

"We're going back out tonight - to get the rest of the gold," Pope informed the girls, handing them a terribly drawn and inaccurate map they began laughing at.

"Tate, you have to use a computer to do schoolwork 'cause your such an idiot," Thomas defended Pope quickly, shutting his annoyingly sunny sister up.

"Let's pawn this piece of shit then," said JJ, holding up a weirdly shaped chunk of gold.

Tatum cringed at the disgusting sight of it. Lumpy and vomit-like. She could've done such a better job.

Today was going to be so good.