2. beautiful

"But I know, I know, life can be beautiful

I pray, I pray for a better way

If we changed back then, we could change again

We can be beautiful...

Just not today"

--
C H A P T E R T W O
beautiful
--

"It's been a week, he hasn't come home." Goldie told Wanda as they sat on a bench in the centre of town next to the huge Elm tree that the town was built around.

"I'd love to be home alone for a week." Wanda laughed.

Wanda and Daisy were the only ones who knew about her father. She somehow managed to hide it from everyone else. Even before her mom left her father didn't interact with anyone else.

But Wanda didn't know about the neglect and the... Other stuff.

"Is it a business trip?" Wanda asked.

"Uh..." Goldie didn't actually know, "Uh- Yeah."

Goldie quickly managed to change the subject.

"Your coming to the diner tonight, right? Or bar, I dunno what Steve calls it past 9pm."

"Of course!" Wanda exclaimed, "I wouldn't miss it!"

"For me, or Steve?" Goldie teased, causing Wanda to blush.

The first week of the summer had been pretty ordinary. A few of the days she went out with Wanda and Daisy, and a few days she just went to the diner for breakfast and then went back home. Going back home is something she wouldn't normally do, but since her father had completely disappeared she didn't have a reason to stay away.

Since the night she returned from the lake, she hasn't seen or heard her father once.

She wasn't worried about her father disappearing for almost a whole week, she was more relieved than anything that she didn't have to sneak around all day to avoid him.

"You're hiring?" Goldie referenced to the poster in the window.

She was at the diner. Again. She was walking home for lunch after meeting up with Wanda, but when she passed it, Steve's new lunch menu was too tempting.

"Natasha quit. You have the job if you want it." Steve laughed. "You know the way things work around here better than anyone."

It was true. She did know the diner better than anyone. Well, apart from Steve.

"Mhm, I think playing here on a Saturday is enough." Goldie politely declined.

She wanted the job, she needed the job. But she knew she was too unreliable. Especially with how bad her home life was right now.

"Let me know if you change your mind."

Goldie smiled and bit into her burger.