22. is this the end?

cw: smut, and you might cry because this chapter is a tiny bit sad.... just a tiny bit

"A haunted house with a picket fence

To float around and ghost my friends

No, I'm not afraid to disappear

The billboard said, "The end is near"

I turned around, there was nothing there

Yeah, I guess the end is here"

———
C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  T W O
is this the end?
———

"3 weeks?" Bucky ran his hand through his hair, "God, I didn't... I... So soon?"

She was telling him everything that Tony had informed her about. She couldn't stop smiling, this was her dream, and Tony Stark was making that come true. She didn't want to say Tony Stark was a fairy godmother since she didn't want to imagine him in a pink tutu... But... He was her own weird fairy godmother in his own Tony Stark kind of way.

"Yeah," She replied, "He wants to get an album out before tour, and if I don't leave in three weeks we don't have enough time..." Her voice faded as she noticed Buckys slightly... hurt? expression. "Is everything okay?"

Bucky played it off with a soft smile, "Yeah, yeah. Of course," He replied, "I just... thought we had more time, that's all."

"What do you mean?" She asked, puzzled by his choice of words.

"Nothing, nothing," He brushed the subject away, "Forget I said anything."

He had the folded up letter from Matt in his hand. He wanted to take the job. The longer he thought about it, the more he thought he could genuinely be good at it. He could really help people if Matt trained him properly to be a lawyer. And Matt had a good reputation around here, he could really make a good life for himself.

"What you got there?" Goldie asked, gesturing to the piece of paper in his hand.

"Oh uh—" He should tell her. She deserves to know, "Just a letter..."

Goldies expression suddenly changed, feeling scared.

"It's not from..."

Bucky shook his head, "It's not from my father, no."

Goldie instantly felt relieved. She had noticed he was on edge for the past couple days, she's glad it had nothing to do with HYDRA. Now that Henry is dead, she just hoped the police would deal with evening and Bucky and Goldie would be able to leave these parts of their lives behind them.

"Everything's okay... Right?"

Bucky let out a dry laugh. It felt ironic, really. On paper, everything was okay. Perfect, even. Goldie had just been offered the life she had only dreamt about, and Bucky had been presented with the opportunity that would secure his, and his family's future.

But was it really okay? For them?

What would it really mean for Bucky and Goldie? Oceans apart. They had only been together one summer, how were they sure they were going to last over a year being thousands of miles away from each other.

There's no way in hell Bucky could afford to leave everything to tour with them in Europe. He wanted to. He loved her. But he truly didn't know if they would be able to make it work.