Chapter 18: Work study

The next week flies by before the two weeks of our work studies begin. Before I know it, I'm standing in Endeavor's office with Shoto, Bakugo, and Midoriya. Finally Endeavor looks up at us from what he was doing. "Good, you're all here." He stands, "Let's begin." He strides from the room and we all turn and follow. Thankfully Shoto had informed me before hand about what to expect during this two week period.

We head outside to begin the patrol with Endeavor. "Just like the last time you were here, excluding you, Shay. I want you to beat me to an encounter at least once before the week is up." He turns his head to us briefly. "If any of you are unable to do that then I will personally see to it that you have extra training with me four times a week after this."

I gulp at that but Shoto only sighs dramatically next to me. "Let's just get on with the patrol, old man." Endeavors flames flare and brighten at Shoto's words but he walks faster.

I can tell that Endeavor has his senses on high alert. So I perk up my ears and allow all my senses to go on high alert as well. "If you see, hear, smell or even sense that something is wrong, then you are most likely right. In that case get there as fast as you can. You don't need to say anything to me if you notice a situation first." Endeavor tells us.

We keep walking around for a while with no incidents to speak of. That is, until I feel a slight tug on my senses. I know what that tug is, I have felt it before. Death. Death, was close by. I scanned my surroundings and saw a small child running to the road from the park. A bright red ball was rolling into the traffic. My eyes shoot to the cars barreling towards that ball and the child that ran closer and closer to the road. He hit the road and a car blared its horn and tires squealed. Between one blink and the next I was to the little boy. I scooped him into my arms, pushed his terrified face into my shoulder and vanished. I stepped back into reality on the soft grass of the park and crouched down.

Setting the little boy on his feet I scanned him for injuries. "Hey little man." I greeted in a soothing voice. "Are you ok? Are you hurt anywhere?"

Endeavor, Shoto, Bakugo, and Midoriya reached me as I still held the boy close still scanning him. Tears began streaming down the boys face, "Th-thank you." The boy cried out and threw his arms around my neck.

I placed one arm fully around him and pet his hair with my other hand. "Shh, it's ok sweetie. You're ok now." I glanced at the four guys to my left who all seemed a little shocked at my reaction time. I pulled back slightly from the boy and wiped his tears. "Are you here with someone?" I question keeping my voice soft.

He sniffles, "My dad and big brother. We were playing kick ball."

"Oh, doesn't that sound like fun." I let a smile form hoping to put him at ease. I can vaguely hear Endeavor talking to the driver. He's telling him to make sure to slow down when driving around parks, or wherever kids play. "Can you help me find your dad and your brother? I'm sure they're missing you."

He nods and I pick him back up, "We were playing over that way." He points and I see a man looking around almost franticly.

"Is that your dad sweetie?" I ask him and point to the man.

"Yea, that's him." He sniffles again and I pull out a small handkerchief. I had them made with my costume for situations like this. I give it over to the little boy to let him blow his nose. He does then grips it tightly in his hand. "Dad!" He screams out.

That mans head whips to us and he sprints over along with the older boy. "Akio! Where were you? You scared me." He makes it to us and I set Akio down and he runs to his dad.

"The ball got away. I wanted to get it. It went in the road though, and a car almost hit me." The mans face paled. "But this nice lady saved me."

I gave a small wave as the man looked to me. "Thank you so much. I don't know how I can ever repay you for saving my son's life." He bowed deeply.